New Ball Head Review- Wrecking Ball

dozer_xj

A few years ago one of the guys I night hunt with got tired of using camera equipment to hunt with. He designed his own ball head and has been using it as well as perfecting it for 3 years now. He finally did a production run on them at the beginning of this year. I have been running a prototype all of this year and I finally got one of the production units and I love it. I have shot 4 coyotes this season with it and it is way better than the ball head I was using from china.

It does not have a separate mechanism to pan with. You pan with the ball which eliminates alot of slop. Preload on the ball is set by rotating the knurled part of the ball head compared to some where the pan is more of an on or off setting. It will hold my 18 pound ar10 with a night vision scope, shiper hog lrx66 and radius but once you grab the gun you can still move it without changing preload. It also only weighs right at 1 pound. I am obviously semi affiliated with him but I am not getting paid a cent to post this. I really think this is a great value for the money. Check it out! [video:youtube][/video]

Originally Posted By: ah929rrLooks goood I think they should let me demo one.

You could always ask.I don't think its out of the question. Though so far I think they have had as many people want to be prostaff to get one for free as they have sold ahaha.

Their first run of ballheads was 50 pieces. They have been selling 2 or 3 a day. Even sold one to Australia! They are already discussing another run of 200.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis$179.99 ? Why so expensive?

Some people are shooting $500 RRS stuff ball heads. This is a pretty good value for the money in my opinion anyway.

Lots of good choices on the market. For the money, I think the night stalker trpod and ballhead is great. If you want to build your own, I'd look for a trpod of your liking and maybe consider the LH-55 made by Leofoto, which is a copy of the RRS 55 at $249.00 from B&H Photo and others. Lots of different ways to spend your hard earned dollars.😁

I have owned a night stalker. This ball head and slik tripod is much better. It it more sturdy. I junked a night stalker ball head in a few months of hunting but they did warranty it. Though the Vault Outdoors set up is a little more expensive. Cheap compared to a rrs carbon pod and ball head though.

I bought the tripod and ball head (because I didn't want to fight my old tripod) and had it out last night. Only made 2 stands and shot one yote so experience is limited. Still, I like this rig a lot! It weights 6 lbs 11 oz and is easy to set up and adjust. I didn't tighten the ball as much as they show in the video electing to pan with the stem and ball assembly slightly loose and tilt with the ball. It's smooth but firm and definitely steady. I do like that the range is limited (but still plenty) because that allowed me to simply rest the rifle butt down without having a full-range notch in the ball housing to worry about. It's fairly priced and I'm glad that I bought it. Good work guys!

Last edited:
Thinking of good things to spend my stimulus bucks on.How is the wrecking ball working out, like the thought of not having to having to mess with levers and dials.

Sold out
frown.gif

Back