Valley coyote hunt

Snowshoes

A calm morning, actually too calm for my liking and that would prove to be an issue once again.
My weather station showed the wind direction to be out of NW but the wind speed was zero.
Parked the truck by a row of round bales and then hiked to some trees on the edge of the field next to a deep ravine. Started off with some howls and I get 2 different groups return howls from the valley below.
After a 5 minute wait its time for cottontail distress and that brings a pair of coyotes out of the trees to the north of my location.
The coyotes come roughly 30 yards into the field and then stop to scan the field. I switch to Vole squeaks and that gets the one coyote on the move. It’s to the northeast of me and on a steady trot but suddenly turns and runs back towards the trees. I know by its reaction, it caught my scent. I’m a little surprised when I notice the other coyote hasn’t moved. Swing the cross hairs onto it and send a 64 gr HP on its way. The bullet finds its mark which sends the coyote on a labored run back towards the trees. It stumbles twice before getting to the trees. It stops at the edge of the trees and just as I pull the trigger the coyote falls down before my second bullet could reach it.
Confident the coyote was down for the count, I walked back to get the truck. As I walked across the field I could tell the light breeze was now from the southwest but it switched back by the time I reached the truck.

After loading the coyote up, I drive to a trail that lead down into the valley but I know I will be walking from this point on. A good packed snowmobile trail made for a pleasurable walk to the flats below.

Once to the bottom I set up in a location that has me watching a thick band of trees that often holds coyotes.

Start off with some howls which gets a group howling further to the north than where I hoped. Watched this location for a few minutes before relocating a quarter mile further north.

Once set up, I try another series of howls but no response this time around. A cow moose comes out of the willows to see what the racket is all about but no coyotes. Switch to cottontail distress but that’s a bust also, so I switch to challenge howls. That brings a coyote out of the willows but its content to stand on a beaver house and look the area over. Went through a series of different calls but the coyote shows no interest and lays down. I range the beaver house/coyote at 564yards but that’s further than I care to shoot.
A few minutes pass and the coyote decides to get up and head back into the willows where it had came from. Not willing to vacate the spot quite yet, I try some bird distress sounds in hopes of sparking some interest but they fell on deaf ears also. I was about to leave, when I see another coyote in the field to the northwest of me. This coyote is a long ways out there and busy mousing, it pays me absolutely no attention when I try calling it over. I can see the coyote is slowing working its way my direction, so I take the opportunity to sneak back through the trees and head northwest in hopes of intercepting it. As I get to the end of the brush patch, I see the coyote is leaving the field and heading up towards the thicker timber. My plan of getting set up and playing Vole squeaks is scrapped as I watch the coyote continue its upward journey so I quickly sit down and get the rifle set up. The coyote suddenly comes to stop as it had to have seen or heard me. I take a quick range and get a reading of 343 yards. Adjust the turret accordingly, zoom up the scope to 22X. I can see the coyote is now sitting down and facing me. I would much rather have a broadside shot but its not what I have so I'll have to make the best of it. Settle the heart beat down and with a touch of the trigger I send a bullet on its way. Much to my surprise, I hear a whoomp and see the coyote tip over.
The coyote is where the red circle is drawn.

Being ¾ mile from the truck and the coyote another 300+ yards away, I opted to walk back to the truck and go home and get my snowmobile to fetch the coyote.

The red arrow indicates where I shot from.

Last edited:
WTG on the double snowshoes. Beautiful looking coyote country up there. Is the snow crunchy in your area? Congrats and again thanks for the story and great pictures.

Originally Posted By: AWSThat last one is one pretty coyote.
One of the nicer ones this season.
Originally Posted By: ThreewolvesGreat, Thanks
Thank you
Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG on the double snowshoes. Beautiful looking coyote country up there. Is the snow crunchy in your area? Congrats and again thanks for the story and great pictures.
Thank you lockrotor,
The snow is crusted but not overly noisy
Originally Posted By: Yotarunnerthats some beautiful country down there. looks like the fur is still holding up for the most part
The view going "down the valley" is always better than going up
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Runnin'HardLove the beauty of it all! Kinda wish we had your type winter at times...Great job!
I don't mind the winters for the most part, I could live without the -40's though
smile.gif

Was out this morning but the gale force winds weren't conducive to calling coyotes. One day its dead calm and the next I have trees snapping and falling in the bush behind me!

Last edited:
Great pictures and some beautiful country. We had 4-5" of snow here in Ga. this last week, only lasted a few hours, then melted. I would love to do some hunting in the snow.
Great write-up, thanks for taking me along!

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteYou've got some amazing country to hunt! Keep up the good aim.
Thanks, might have a couple more weekends before shutting down.
Originally Posted By: nr123Great pictures and some beautiful country. We had 4-5" of snow here in Ga. this last week, only lasted a few hours, then melted. I would love to do some hunting in the snow.
Great write-up, thanks for taking me along!
Thanks nr123, The snow can make for decent hunting but after 4.5 - 5 months of it, I'm ready for bare ground once again
smile.gif

Still read but seldom respond on this forum anymore.
But gotta say, it's great to see you fellas whacking n stacking.
Heck of a season Snowhoes. Really like the detailed setups.
You other fellas as well.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: borkonStill read but seldom respond on this forum anymore.
But gotta say, it's great to see you fellas whacking n stacking.
Heck of a season Snowhoes. Really like the detailed setups.
You other fellas as well.
cool.gif

Thank you borkon.
I was just thinking the other day, I hadn’t seen you on here for awhile.

Back