Form 1 info? Building my own, legally

Coyotejunki

I hear rumors and stories that people can legally build their own Suppressor. I am interested in doing this. I understand that I will need to purchase a stamp for each can. Can you guys steer me in a good direction? I want "legally" build a couple just for myself.

lots of info out there. check out silencertalk.com forums for TONS of solid info

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=f8d4376e6c0a5ed0a748ea5c7ec8726c

my form1 can is made from a "solvent trap" conversion based on the maglight tube design

i got my parts from SDTA, but these days diversified machine looks to be making some really nice "solvent trap" components - including tailcaps that are compatible with several different commercial QD muzzle devices if you dont want to go the direct thread option.

one thing to note about form1 stuff.. you cannot be in posession of your goodies until your stamp arrives. likewise any single piece of a suppressor (even one lonely baffle) is considered being in posession of a NFA item. its no different than being in posession of a sub 16" barreled AR upper (or even just a barrel) with a rifle lower around, unless you have a registered SBR or an ar-pistol.

generally speaking the process is

1) file form 1
2) wait for stamp arrive (you're on hold until this completes)
3) buy your parts
4) have the tube engraved
5) assemble

hth

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com

Hands down the best resource I've found on doing everything necessary for a successful form 1 everytime. I've built myself four form 1 cans and have guided a few friends through the process as well. With minimal investment I'm able to do the whole process including the engraving. My last form 1 took 27 days for approval. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you go the "solvent Trap" route, you can in fact purchase it before you get your stamp back... It's a solvent trap, not a suppressor. AS LONG AS YOU DON'T DRILL HOLES IN THE END CAP AND THE BAFFLES BEFORE YOU GET YOUR TAX STAMP BACK, YOU'RE FINE. I capitalized that sentence because it is very important.

I've done 1 form 1 so far. I used a solvent trap kit from form1builder.com. They make a great product, but there communication is absolute garbage. The next one I do will be most likely homemade from scratch.

My form 1 trust took about 35 days, and that was with a paperwork screw up on my end that required me to resubmit it.

Back