New Sidearm???

LUCKYDOG

There are more mountain lions, bears and now even wolves in Colorado than ever. I'm using that excuse to buy a new sidearm. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 45 but it has a flashlight mounted on it and stays next to my bed every night and I don't want to change that. All of my other sidearms are 9mm and down.

When I'm rifle hunting, I'm plenty happy with just my rifle for protection from animals and humans. But I need to get something for when I'm bow and black powder hunting.

What do you guys think would be the best sidearm for the use I'm describing. Budget doesn't really matter. Weight is a concern because I'm not a spring chicken anymore. Thanks in advance for any input.

That's very interesting that you wrote that. I was just wondering where a 10 mm would rank with a .357, 454 casull, 44 mag or even a Smith and Wesson 460.

The 10mm is pretty close to .357 magnum but in a full size Glock it carries 16rds vs 6rds in a standard revolver.

Glock model 40 is a good one if you want to attach optics or for hunting with a handgun with its longer barrel/sight radius. Glock model 20 for a standard service size handgun. Glock model 29 for compact.

It you are not a Glock guy than XD10mm, EAA Witness, CZ97 10mm, Dan Wesson 10mm, Ruger SR1911 10mm.

Last edited:
For your purposes it would be very hard to beat a 10 mm if you're interested in an automatic. Otherwise any 357, 41, or 44 mag with hard cast lead slugs would be fine. I carry a Glock 20 with double tap 200 grain hard cast pretty much all the time when I'm in the woods. I also have S&W 327 (8rd .357) and 329 (6rd .44) airweight revolvers. They are both awesome for carrying although the 329 could be a little punishing if you're shooting it a lot.

Glock 20 10mm for me. I load fifteen Underwood 200 gr. XTP's at 1,250 fps or the 220 hardcast at 1,200 fps. Pack it in a Diamond D Alaskan Guides Choice chest holster.

Last year I bought a G40 with at 6inch barrel put a Burris Fastfire3 on it.
Buffalo Bore makes some low flash loads for 10mm. I like them if I need that 2nd shot.

I too carry a 10mm and use XTP 200 gr and/or hard cast 200 gr (bear country).

I have a 4.5” XDM, RIA with a 6” barrel and a Glock 40 (6” barrel).

I also have a GP100 in 357 with a 6” barrel but would rather carry the lighter weight (XDM or Glock)semi-autos in 10mm.

I carry an M&P 40 with me any time I might run into a lion or bear. I went with the .40 because of the 15+1 in the full size. You already have the .45 covered so I’d vote for a .40 companion to go with it you know for familiarity and all.

Last edited:
The 460 Rowland is a hammer, and considering the power behind the bullets it's still a breeze to shoot with the compensator added to the gun.

I hit a whitetail doe head on in the chest with a 185gr XTP at around 30 yards and we found the bullet back somewhere in the intestines, a tougher 230gr bullet might have made it through.

As long as you get a gun that runs the conversion flawlessly(most guns do) from bear or wolf protection, grizzlies, whitetail hunting to anything else it would be my #1 choice. Power of a 44 mag with the ease of any hard hitting semiauto.

I have a Glock 23(40 S&W 13+1), that I use in late season deer hunting, when I am carrying bigger loads, and bears are asleep. The 40 S&W is plenty good enough for lions and wolves. But for bear season, I have a Glock 20(10mm 15+1), stoked with 200 gr. XTPs. I have a Glock 40, but that is a hawgleg, with a 6" barrel, and Vortex Viper red dot. Nice for hunting, but a bit unwieldy for me, for close quarters critter defense.
My 44 mag 6 shot revolver doesn't get out much anymore.

Squeeze

I prefer an 8 round .357 revolver. .357 has a little more snort than 10mm, and i figure if 8 rounds doesnt get me out of a pickle, im probably screwed anyway, dont think the extra rounds past 8 in a 10mm glock would help. Plus revolvers are absolutely the most reliable, low maintenance sidearm option.

Also, if you need to pull a snake load out of your pocket and replace a real bullet with it for immediate use, its a lot quicker and easier with a revolver.

Last edited:
Totally agree with a 10mm if you have grizzly bear. With the Underwood ammo they are a handful!! I have a Glock 20 and can’t accurately shoot multiple shots with the hot underwoods. Call me an old guy, a sissy or whatever, but you better practice fast multiple shots and be sure you are able to accurately shoot what ever you have! That said most factory ammo isn’t as hot as underwood and I shoot them well. I personally don’t like the shorter grip on the compact 29 with the 10mm recoil.
From what I’ve read - fortunately I have no personal experience here - hot 40 S&W will do for black bear and wolves so I carry a glock 27 for my non grizzly bear bird hunting areas.

a good friend of mine in northern canada has a permit to carry his glock 10mm while bear guiding and has had to pull it in defense a few times. through the mud, blood and overall mess that man goes through in a season of bear guiding he says that glock still runs like a top and he will (and has) stake his life on it

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to call my range today to see if they have a 10 mm I can rent and shoot. There are only black bears where I hunt and they always haul [beeep] when they see you but there are so many of them now that close encounters are more likely than not.

Originally Posted By: SlagiattI prefer an 8 round .357 revolver. .357 has a little more snort than 10mm

Not to be argumentative, but I believe this statement is incorrect. Across the board, from lighter bullet loads, transferring more energy to heavier bullets, for increased penetration, the 10mm Auto has more energy on target, than the 357 Magnum. Factory 357 Magnum ammo offerings that I checked, don't get over 600 ft/lbs, and a number of factory loads for the 10mm Auto are in the over 600 ft/lbs and some are over 700 ft/lbs of energy. Even if one wants to argue that full potential of cartridges aren't reached except by hand loaders, I believe the 10mm Auto still bests the 357 Magnum across the range of available bullets, and powders. But numbers never stopped a threat. So if one prefers a 357 Magnum, over a 10mm Auto, that is the individuals choice...But the math for these two cartridges doesn't support the assertion that the 357 Magnum is more powerful that a comparable 10mm Auto cartridge.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGHow does the recoil of the 10mm compare to my 45?

I agree with GC, 45 Auto +P and 10mm Auto have similar recoil, with the edge to the 10mm Auto hot heavy bullet loads. The pistol will make the difference. My G20SF(full size 10mm) handles the range of 10mm nicely, but my G40(long slide 10mm) with a Vortex red dot, really tames the recoil of the 10mm. I don't have a Glock 29(10mm compact), but I do have a Glock 30SF(45 auto compact), and I will predict the G29, with full power loads, will be a handful. I will say my face hurts from grinning, after shooting my 10mms.

Squeeze

Back