States that allow uncased gun in truck ?

NDAR15MAN

I was wondering what states allow a hunter to keep a uncased gun in truck while hunting ? Please let’s focus on actual facts of the law as you know it and not rumor. I know someone will say if you have a conceal weapon permit no problem , but I am asking this question as if A state does not recognize a conceal carry permit regarding this question. Let’s just go with a list of STATES THAT DO allow it , easier to keep track of here. I lived in North Dakota 2007 to 2013 and the law there said you can have uncased Rifle or shotgun as log as shell was not in chamber of gun. Shells could be in a loaded magazine in the gun but not a shell in the actual chamber. So let’s start with NORTH DAKOTA. thanks. MD

Last edited:
What the French door are you asking? An uncashed rifle? If that’s illegal I should be doing life at this point. I’m not sure about other states but having a rifle loaded in the truck is illegal in Washington. So get out load your rifle and get out and hunt.

WA-legal uncased guns in motor vehicle or touching vehicle, no ammo in gun or attached magazine,
Except some Federal property gun must be unloaded, cased, and out of reach, ammo legal in detached magazines,
Except me- special permit to have loaded firearm in and shoot from vehicle, off pavement shut off.

So far so good good. Group I hunt with was wondering about this today at lunch. A lot of midwestern states I have lived in DO NOT allow having unloaded , UNCASED gun in a truck or car. I said I would post a question. keep them coming. Thanks. MD

Last edited:
NY-no case required for rifles or shotguns.No ammo in the chamber or magazine.You cant even lean a loaded gun on or against a vehicle if it's loaded.ML's can be loaded but you can not have a primer in the breech plug.

Colorado, un cased yes, loaded magazine yes, loaded chamber NO. Loaded hand gun yes, shotgun loaded with empty chamber yes. loaded and un capped muzzle loader yes.

I know it’s a hassle when your jumping from spot to spot and having to completely unload, case, and keep up with a clip and or ejected shells each time. I’m in Arkansas and have an Enhanced conceal carry permit. I really never thought of having the permit would or may not allow me to carry my rifle uncased and loaded. I’m going to check our local laws. You may have saved me some hassle.

Arkansas just legalized night hunting for predators with a permit. I have the permit and work hard to stay completely within the law, because I’m sure the first time I’m seen out at night I’ll be checked. Thanks for starting the thread.

Last edited:
Mn, hunting- unloaded no case(with exceptions). I still hard case all optic equipped firearms in the back of my truck. It is illegal to shoot into or across private property without permission. Illegal to shoot across a road. Makes "road hunting" a touchy subject.

Montana
Anything goes.
Long guns and shotties can be in the front set loaded and in the chamber with ammo in hand, no case at all.
Pistols can be in-plane sight loaded and hot, no permit needed.
Should you? probably not.
On private land we can shoot out the windows, Handicapped, with stickers can shoot out the window on county roads.

Nevada, no case. Rifles and shotguns cannot have a round in the chamber.
Pistols can have a round in the chamber and is only considered concealed if it is on your person. A backpack or other container containing a firearm is not considered concealed in a vehicle if it is not carried upon the person.

Arkansas and Kansas have no regulations that I know of. If you are suppose to unload I have been breaking the law for many, many years. Only time my rifle does not have a live round in the tube is for 2 seconds after I just kilt a coyote. I never unload my gun, ever! An unloaded gun is a dangerous gun.

Oregon: uncased, chamber empty, mag full for long guns. You may carry concealed handgun w/o a permit as long as you are engaged in a lawful hunting or fishing expedition or going to or from the expedition. I.E. be sure you have a hunt/fish license and an open season. Oregon, so far, is an open carry state.

Quote:Texas has no laws regarding the carrying of long guns (rifles or shotguns) in motor vehicles. Texas does not require a person to have a valid handgun license in order to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft if the vehicle is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Regards,
hm

Maryland, whats a gun??
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.NY-no case required for rifles or shotguns.No ammo in the chamber or magazine.You cant even lean a loaded gun on or against a vehicle if it's loaded.ML's can be loaded but you can not have a primer in the breech plug.

NY has additional rules while using a spotlight on lands inhabited by deer or bear, which is basically most of the state. It says you may use lights to observe deer and bear under the following conditions:

You are not within 500 feet of a home or farm building, unless you have permission from the owner or lessee.

While in or on a motor vehicle and operating a light and no person has a firearm or bow unless:
the firearm is taken down or the bow is unstrung, or
the firearm is securely fastened in a case, or
the firearm is locked in the trunk of the vehicle, or
the firearm is a handgun.

Back