A good Ar?

Bling

With Virginia under fire I figure if im.going to own a AR while I dont have alot of desire to, now may be the time I hetter just get it to have.

Can yall give me a idea or direction of what or who makes a pretty decent 1. Like to have a 243 or bigger 22cal

The larger platforms required for 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 308, etc are a lot heavier. If you want something larger for deer hunting, the 6.8 is a good option. If you’re just shooting varmints/predators/paper, the .22 stuff is a good option or the 204. If you reload you’ll have a load more options for calibers. Most any of the components you can get will work fine, for a good shooter worry more about having a quality barrel and trigger. I haven’t bought a complete rifle or assembled upper in so long I can’t really advise where to look if you’re wanting one ready to go. Probably about any will work, just know there’s some complete rifles around for fairly cheap these days you could always upgrade parts on later if you so desired.

For factory rifles I really like rock river, it’s what I suggest to my friends wanting to get into an AR. Try to stay away from odd named brands for resale if that might be in the cards.

What are you wanting to do with the rifle?
Hunt?
Home defense?
SHTF?
So many options and calibers. I would recommend multiple AR's!
No reason AR's can't be more accurate or at the minimum as accurate as most factory bolt guns.
I used to think I had to have a heavier contour bolt gun to get accuracy. Then I started screwing together AR's. I have em in about 10 or 11 cartridges and still adding on. I haven't touched a bolt gun since. No problems getting 5 shots consistently under an inch at 100 with any of them minus the couple of open sight rat tat tat models I have. The fact that the parts interchange and are so modular including the barrels makes then very "assembler" friendly for the average joe lead slinger or precision varmint guy.

Last edited:
I have an AR308 i am building. The entire time through this build i have known that all it will be is a range rifle. I am not sure what you actually do with a rifle like that. I suppose if a fella was 6'5, young and very athletic he could throw it around.

But for hunting and such, walking up and down mountains and fighting your way through the brush... No thanks!

For Coyote hunting or a fighting rifle i will take .223 for many reasons.

Consider researching these:

THESE

Sounds like smaller caliber is what im.after then. I don't want to lug weight. I be using it to shoot anything legal except deer. Gotta he bigger than 22cal for them. I dont know anything about building them. What's hard to.get the upper or lower? With this virginia deal I figure I better atleast own 1

The stripped lower carriers the serial number and is considered the "firearm".
The other parts are not regulated in any way shape or form.
Do you reload?
I buy Anderson lowers from a local store for 59.99. No shipping or transfer fee this way.
You should be able to assemble a quality AR for around $400 and then uppers can be had for less than 250 to transform it into something else.
The only other thing I would add is a trigger and I would look at the LaRue's.

Last edited:
The 6.8 will work on the smaller lighter ar15 platform and is great for deer. The lower receiver has to go through an FFL, all the rest you can mail order straight to your house.

I just swung in the local rural king and seen they had a anderson lower for 49.99. I started to buy it then figured i better check with yall

I have a pile of AR's and for me the Ruger AR556 MPR is the best bang for your buck AR.
Factory Warranty and support from a large company known for great customer service.
Free Float barrel that is 5R rifled in 1/8 twist. 18" with a smooth recoiling rifle length gas system and a good muzzle brake.
Ruger Elite 2 stage trigger.
Magpul stock and grip.
Under $600 and is as accurate as a lot of target heavy barreled AR's while being balanced and somewhat lightweight.

I shoot it way more than my other 223/556 AR's and everyone that has tried mine comments about how soft it shoots and how accurate it is.I

For larger game such as deer at medium range I use a 6.5 Grendel AR15. For close range hogs or just to have some cheap fun 7.62x39 AR15.

Originally Posted By: BlingI just swung in the local rural king and seen they had a anderson lower for 49.99. I started to buy it then figured i better check with yall

I'd buy 3
thumbup.gif
........seriously I'd buy 3
smile.gif

Last edited:
Lower parts kits go on sale at midway for $29.99
Trinity force cobra stock and buffer kits are 39.99 at ar15discount.com if you can catch them in stock.

Last edited:
My brother had been talking about getting an AR for awhile now. We were at a gun show last spring when we came across a vendor selling them for $399. It had a Rock River Arms lower, a no-name upper and a magazine. We went to shoot it a few months later and I will say that even with iron sights I was very impressed by its accuracy. I guess what I’m saying is don’t get too bogged down on brands especially if your just getting one for having fun. Good luck, Dave

the good news for buyers: Deals on AR's, kits and parts are everywhere.

you can buy or build an AR as cheap as ever now. I've seen stripped lowers as low as $29.99, though a bit more is common right now.

You have tons of choices. You can buy all the parts, the tools & build the whole rifle. You can buy a complete lower, a complete upper and just put them together. You can buy a stripped lower & the lower build kit you want, some tools and build the lower, then just add a complete upper to it.

We have sponsors that will build you a complete rifle, or an upper as you want it & do a fine job. I have a 6.5 Grendel upper from SnowmanMo that's quite excellent, but I but the lower myself, for example.

Joe Bob's not only sells lower kits, some time back they made it so you can get kits without the trigger parts. Most of us like a better trigger & the military style triggers in the kit are the base level that work but we want better than. So we end up with trigger parts we don't need. Joe Bob's will let you buy the parts kit without the trigger so you don't get stuck with those parts unused, and you just buy the trigger you really want.

Or you can have a builder just do the whole rifle, including the trigger you want.

Lot's of choices, it's a great time to get it your way.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: BlingI just swung in the local rural king and seen they had a anderson lower for 49.99. I started to buy it then figured i better check with yall

I'd buy 3
thumbup.gif
........seriously I'd buy 3
smile.gif

Yes! I would’ve got at least 2.

Back