FLIR Scion 640 60HZ 18MM or Hogster-R ?

Burnsome...

Its time for an upgrade

I got to look through the FLIR Scion 640 today and it has amazing clarity. Probably a thousand times better than my origianal Scout which has served me well many years for a hand scanner. But the Scion is about 4x larger than the old Scout, and currently requires 6 CR123 batteries and less than ideal run time. I've heard FLIR may be coming out with a regargeable battery pack for the Scion but have not seen any news about it. An external battery can be attached to it but when I think about the larger size of the unit and having to deal with an external battery and cable it doesnt sound so ideal. Maybe doable and something one could get used to I suppose, especially with the amazing image it produces.

I've used one of the new compact Pulsars and they are nice but the field of view is a bit too narrow for my needs.

I've never looked through the Hogster-R but I believe Kirsch indicated in other threads that it makes a pretty nice hand scanner as well. It has the benefit of being gun mountable to boot. I've looked for the actual dimensions of the Hogster but cant seem to find them but it appears smaller than the Scion and would be pretty nice for both scanning and gun mounted. Its not a 640 core though, so was wondering if anybody has actually compared the image of the Hogster to the 640 Scion? I've also heard the Hogster does well in high humidity which is what I deal with well over half the year in my neck of the woods.

I suppose I could get both but trying to limit it to one unit at this time.

I can't say anything about the Hogster but if you'll wait a few days I might be able to give some input on the Scion battery issue. My buddy just bought both the 18mm and 25mm Scions. So far we're not having any luck getting them to run off of a battery pack and the rechargeable 16340's that he ordered are too long to fit in the tray. He has another brand ordered, we'll know more when they arrive.
I do have 2 16340's that are the correct length but neither of the units will stay powered on for more than a few minutes with only 2 16340's. Both of those batteries show full charge but I can't swear that they are both good under a load. They power lights fine though. They're all that we have that will fit until the new batteries are delivered.
On FLIR's website they mention a rechargeable pack for the OTM but don't provide any information on what it is or how to get it. Below is a link to that page, scroll down to the POWER section on page 2.
https://flir.netx.net/file/asset/17478/original

Originally Posted By: Burnsome... I've looked for the actual dimensions of the Hogster but cant seem to find them but it appears smaller than the Scion and would be pretty nice for both scanning and gun mounted. Its not a 640 core though, so was wondering if anybody has actually compared the image of the Hogster to the 640 Scion? I've also heard the Hogster does well in high humidity which is what I deal with well over half the year in my neck of the woods. I put together a chart so you can see the comparison between them and I included both the Hogster 25mm and 35mm. Unless you can use them in the field at the same time, under multiple different conditions, it is hard to say. I have felt the image of the Hogster is just a slight step below my Pulsar Helion XP38 which has a very good image. This is why I was very surprised to read Heymartay say he didn't feel the image was as good as his ld19a. Granted the FOV is much bigger on a 1x mag scanner, and I don't know if he was using the 25mm or 35mm Hogster but I have been very impressed with the image and the detection range.

comp4.jpg

Based on this chart, the Hogster is a bit lighter, 2 inches shorter, has better eye relief, price, and warranty. The Scion has better resolution, and bigger Field of View.

I can say for sure the Hogster does run off Rechargeable 123s , as I have used them a lot in the unit. I run the Hogster off them when using as a scanner, and run off a battery pack when using it as a weapon's site. I believe it comes down to is the bigger FOV the most important feature such as hunting lots of cover, or is having the weapon's portion and the size and price a bigger deal to you on the Hogster.

Back