Hogster 35mm

For anyone who has the Hogster R 35mm, can you tell what the Blind Pixel Calibration does. I have yet to go into the menu to try it. I've read the instructions, this is my first thermal. I don't know if this is a common option for thermal scopes. It says this procedure shall be performed with the Objective Lens Cap closed. I'm just trying to be cautious. I don't want to do something that I'm going to regret.I'm still struggling with undrstanding some functions, rangefinder, do I need to do something to refresh it. I'm very tech challenged. Thanks for any help.

Blind Pixel Calibration can be used when you have a pixel that doesn't work. It will look like a black speck on the screen when on black hot (so background is white) and a white speck when on white hot (so background is black). I haven't used this feature on the hogster yet, but on Pulsars you circle the area around the pixel, and the spot goes away. Some models have this feature and it is nice to get rid of very small pixel issues. You don't need to do the blind pixel repair unless you have bad spots on your screen.

The Stadiometric Range Finder to me is pretty worthless on any thermal. It can provide an approximate range based on the size of the animal in your scope. When coyote hunting, how often does a coyote just sit out at 300 yards for 5 minutes while the hunter pulls up the rangefinder, tries to bracket them, and it is still a guess as to what the distance is. I would pace off every coyote I shoot, and think about how big it was in the scope and your brain will become the rangefinder. Ironically, the rangefinder option doesn't come up on my Hogster. My version may have been produced before this firmware update that included it. To answer your question, you change the size of the animal each time, and this is what provides the basic idea of range.

Hey marine guy,

I bought both the 35mm and 25mm hogsters. I decided to measure an average ND coyote and make tinfoil silhouettes. Our coyotes are roughly two feet long (chest to butt) and two feet tall (top of head to the toes). Seven inches wide (left side of chest to the right side). Nine inches from the top of chest to the bottom. I made a few silhouettes, but the main two were 7" x 24" (front view of coyote standing) and 9" x 24" (broadside body cavity).

I placed these silhouettes at 10,200,300 yards at our local gun range. I used the first set of crosshairs on the hogster, the one that looks like a "T". With a rock solid rest, I placed the bottom bar at the bottom of the tinfoil and measured how many "plus signs" to the top of the tinfoil of the 7 x24 silhouette. The 9 x 24 silhouette, I used the thin horizontal bar and measured how many "+" to the other side of the silhouette.

25mm: 100 yards its two "+", 200 yards its one "+", 300 yards its .7 "+".

35mm: 100 yards is 3 +'s, 200 yards its 1.5 +'s, 300 yards its 1 +'s.

Whenever I tried this ranging method and verified it with my onX app, I'm usually within +/- 25 yards.

If you're using an ar15 that shoots 50-55 grain bullets, sight it in at 1.5 inches high at 100, you should be dead on at 200, and eight inches low at 300.

Hopefully this helps.

Has anyone used regular disposable batteries for the hogster? I’m curious as to what the approximate battery life/run time is using standard batteries.

Originally Posted By: ToroHas anyone used regular disposable batteries for the hogster? I’m curious as to what the approximate battery life/run time is using standard batteries.
I had two sets of disposables. First set 3.5 hrs. Second set at $19 for two (I was desperate), got 3 hrs. I ordered a set of 8 rechargables for $38 off of amazon. They seem to last longer than the disposables.

In my testing, standard 123s were around 3.5hrs as Rhett mentioned and 2.5-3 hours from the rechargeables. These were tests done in warm temps. I haven't used standard 123s in the field, just the rechargeables. We get approximately 4-5 stands from a set of batteries in below freezing temps. What truly surprises me, is if we put the batteries on a charger connected to a battery pack, they are ready in a few stands and waiting for when the first set is dead. A person could conceivably just keep rotating 2 sets of batteries as needed. I am a big fan of battery packs, but if you want to cut down on wires, these Arlo style rechargeable 123's are really nice. After trying these rechargeables, you will be money ahead after 3 hunting trips for sure. They are really nice.

I used ones similar to these. My exact item was no longer available on Amazon. The charger and batteries looked identical. I would look for any of the Arlo 123 rechargables that get good reviews on Amazon. The batteries typically are $3-$4 a piece, so not that much more than standard batteries. I've heard from another Hogster user that they had some issues with the positive terminal post on the Hogster not making a good connection on standard 123s but the rechargeables worked better. Bering Optics had not heard that before, but just another potential positive for the rechargeables.

Originally Posted By: KirschI used ones similar to these. My exact item was no longer available on Amazon. The charger and batteries looked identical. I would look for any of the Arlo 123 rechargables that get good reviews on Amazon. The batteries typically are $3-$4 a piece, so not that much more than standard batteries. I've heard from another Hogster user that they had some issues with the positive terminal post on the Hogster not making a good connection on standard 123s but the rechargeables worked better. Bering Optics had not heard that before, but just another potential positive for the rechargeables.

These are the ones that I ended up with, they work great so far. I used two sets and was part way thru my third when the sun came up the other night.

Back