270 scope

pyscodog

I want to get a GOOD scope without breaking the bank for my new to me 270Win. I'm not needing a big tacticool scope as I'm not a knob twister and my shots are generally close. I like hunting heavy woods as opposed to open fields but not going to say I never will. I'm thinking 12-14 power max. Its a very nice rifle and like to match the quality of optics to the rifle. I'm hoping I'll get a nice tax refund and planned on using it for the scope. I have a 3x9 VX-R w/Fire dot and w/CDS on my 7mm08 and its nice. Kinda leaning that way for the 270 but just like to hear some opinions and maybe something else will interest me. Thanks!

P.S. This will be a deer rifle mainly. No predators or varmints unless its just an opportunity shot.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure yet,waiting on my tax's. But I want a pretty good scope. I just don't want a great big heavy scope like a lot of companies are building these days. Good clear glass and reliability.

I second the 2-10x40, 10x top end works for everything but long range deer hunting(400 yard+). Leupold,Sightron,Vortex. Nikon on clearance everywhere but no warranty. 3x9,2.5-8. Are options. Skip the cds, bdc reticle if your shots are under 300 yards.

If you are hunting dense woods, there's no point in spending money for a scope that goes much more than a 9x. That being said, I'd say go VX-3i. It will be a step up from your VX-R.

When hunting dense woods a .270 win is not my idea of the best suited cartridge for that purpose. That said, it is what I have used for that purpose for 30+ years and it’s always served me well. I’ve taken both deer and elk with it at less than ten paces using an old vari-x-iic 3-9x40. The nice thing about the .270 win for me out west, is that it can also reach out there too! Mine now wears a VX3 4.5-14x40 with CDS. I’ve also added a 7mm08 with a 2-10x42 for closer work that still has the longer reach I need.

I do think it’s more important to fit the scope for the intended purpose than it is to fit the cartridge to the purpose within reason anyway. I would add, that even though you say your not a knob twister, the CDS lets you zero at close range( I like 100 yards), then dial for longer ranges giving you great flexibility.

Last edited:
I have a 7mm08 that wears a VX-R CDS, 3x9 that I hunt with in heavy cover. My FFL friend told me today that he has a NIB VX-3i, 4.5x14 that he would make me a pretty decent deal on. I'm gonna take a look at it soon. Looked at a Meopta today that I really liked as well. I just want a great big tactical looking scope for this rifle.

The 270 worked well in the forest of Northern MN and WI. My wife shot a Rem 760 in 270 with a fixed 2.5x and a Rem 700-270 with a fixed 4x. I shot a MarkX Mannlicher 270 with a 1.5-4.5x20 scope and my dad a Win Model 70-270 with a 2-7 scope.

I think it’s hard to beat a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 for a solid general hunting scope. Super clear, not heavy, and 10x is plenty for most hunting purposes. Can be found for less than $300 with the duplex reticle. It’s what’s on my .270 Rem 700.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think your right Adam. A scope with a max of 10 should be all the scope I would need.

pyscodog:

I have used a Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10x40 on my Browning 1885(B78) for many years hunting in open country and some more "closed up" stuff as well.

I have found this scope to work extremely well with this rifle and caliber.

A shop has a used Swaro, 3x9, at a somewhat decent price, but it looks like its been rode hard and put away wet a few to many times. If it was in better condition I would be more interested.

I bet it serves you well. I have two of the VX-3 LR 30mm tube with SF in 4.5-14. A 40mm obj. duplex reticle on my 243 and a 50mm obj. with the varmint hunter reticle on my 22-250. They are really good scopes and the 14x top end is nice to have when hunting open areas where longer shot opportunities could arise. I imagine there’s plenty more longer shot opportunities in Oklahoma than I have here. I’ve swapped over to all Leupold on everything, they’re hard to beat for a hunting scope in my opinion. I’m a line them up and leave them alone type though, not a turret twister.

I started to rob the VXR off my 7mm08 but it has the CDS dial and my load data on it. My smith had the 4.5-14 and made me a pretty decent deal so I went with it. The VXR is a great scope and I just didn't want to rob it for the 270.

For the $$$ I m a big vx3i fan. Typically a 3.5-10x. Don't be afraid of the older vxiii s , can be gotten for even less $$$

If you can find one, a Bushnell 4x16 4200 series are remarkable scopes, they come in 40 & 50 mm, brilliant optics and very small target knobs. You can always turn the power down. It is nice to be able to turn the power up and see if a buck has broke off a brow tine before you shoot.

Back