Good,Bad & Ugly

Snowshoes

I never ventured out yesterday as it was very windy, raining and warm. Forty mph winds with a temperature of 43*F and rain, didn’t inspire me to leave the house yesterday morning.
The weather conditions had improved by the afternoon, so I took the opportunity to make a run with the snowmobile to pack a trail into a couple coyote spots.
With this mornings temperature sitting at 21*F, I knew my previously made trails from yesterday should be frozen and well packed.
The trail was indeed a treat to walk on with the ¾ mile journey being a fairly speedy & enjoyable trek .
Set up at the edge of a bush patch where I could watch a couple coyote trails to the northeast of my location.
After reconfirming various landmark yardages with the rangefinder binoculars, I settle into my stadium seat and enjoy the unveiling of another beautiful winter morning.
Twenty minutes pass before I see the first coyote of the morning. This is a “GOOD” looking coyote which is headed for the trees but it shows no sign of stopping to my vocal barks and howls. As it gets to the edge of the trees it slows down to a walk and I take the opportunity the send a bullet its direction. The coyote was behind some tall grass but the 52 gr. HP bullet finds its mark and drops it. As I chamber another round I see the coyote get up and labor its way into the trees before I can get another shot off. With there being coyote dens not too far into the bush, this could be a “BAD” situation, if it makes it that far and crawls into one.
Fifteen minutes later I see an “UGLY” coyote sniffing the snow in the same spot where the first one was hit. This second coyote must have came out from the bush but it was standing behind the same tall grass as the first one.
Hold off pulling the trigger until I have a decent shot and once the coyote moves into the clear, I send a 52 gr HP from the 223 on its way. This coyote drops in its tracks but of course I’m still unsure of the whereabouts of the first one.
Fight off the urge to go check things out and sit for an additional 25 minutes in hopes of new arrivals.
Nothing else shows, so I pack up and walk over to the mange infested coyote ( 98 yards). Took a picture of and then followed a blood spattered coyote trail only a few yards before seeing the first one shot. (much to my relief)
The second coyote shot ( Ugly one)

The first one shot ( Good one)

Coyotes 61 & 62

Congrats on getting 2 more. That second sure is an ugly dog, you did it a flavor. The first looks good. The hunting around here has been very hard the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping this up coming full moon will be better. Again congrats on your double and for sharing your story and pictures. Thanks

Thank you lockrotor.
Have you been in the brunt of the heavy snowfalls?
Hope everything comes together for the upcoming full moon hunts!

Back