Who does GOOD Rebarrel Work on Kimber Rifles?

gunsbam45

I'm trying to find a Kimber Montana in either .204 or .223, but am also considering buying a new Kimber Pro Varmint and having it rebarreled with a Montana Contour barrel in .204 with a faster twist to stabilize 40 grain VMAX factory ammo, and fitting it to a Montana stock, and dealing with the leftover parts as a secondary concern. I need to talk to some one who does quality barrel and action work on Kimber rifles and find out what my options are.

Thank you sir. That name rang a bell and I looked him up. Just got off the phone with him and looks like all is a go, so now to get the rifles bought. Also, what barrel twist is the way to go on a .204 rebarrel to eliminate the issue with 40 grain VMAX and other bigger bullets?

Originally Posted By: gunsbam45Thank you sir. That name rang a bell and I looked him up. Just got off the phone with him and looks like all is a go, so now to get the rifles bought. Also, what barrel twist is the way to go on a .204 rebarrel to eliminate the issue with 40 grain VMAX and other bigger bullets?

gunsbam45:

I would suggest you discuss your needs with Mark relevant to twist. He is THE MASTER....

Adam Bentley of Dresden Gun Co. did a Kimber for me. I highly recommend his work.

THE DRESDEN GUN COMPANY LTD
9710 DRESDEN RD, DRESDEN, OH 43821
(740) 565-3004

Originally Posted By: huntschoolOriginally Posted By: gunsbam45Thank you sir. That name rang a bell and I looked him up. Just got off the phone with him and looks like all is a go, so now to get the rifles bought. Also, what barrel twist is the way to go on a .204 rebarrel to eliminate the issue with 40 grain VMAX and other bigger bullets?

gunsbam45:

I would suggest you discuss your needs with Mark relevant to twist. He is THE MASTER....

gunsbam45....Follow the above advice and you will be good to go.

Thanks guys. I have made arrangements with Mark, and will be sending things his way once I settle on the donor or donors for the end result. Reason I asked on the twist was Mark didn't seem to have an opinion for some reason, but he did say most guys want an 11. I told him to just do whatever he thinks best so I can get the best twist for 40 VMAX Hornady factory ammo. I've done some research and it's obvious that you guys aren't alone in the respect you have for him. I can find nothing but high praise and good reports on his work, so he'll be the one to make it happen.

Have also heard Dresden's does good work as well, but Mark comes so highly recommended by so many I'm just sticking there on this one.

Last edited:
Yup. Bob was awesome, and didn't make squat for his time. He just loved doing it. I told him I wanted to learn to build rifles one day, and he said go get one to build on and I'll order the barrel. That was almost ten years ago now. We took it to the range in Bartlesville and fired a test round the day we finished it, and it's sat in the safe ever since. It's a 7mm-08 Ackley with a Hart Benchrest Grade 9 twist heavy sporter at Max length either 26" or 26.5", whatever was left once we cut the chambering fixture out. That mini scroll finish he learned from one of his old bench rest buddy's is really cool.

Bob built my 243AI. He pretty much insisted using a Hart barrel. He knew what he was talking about. It was a hammer.

FYI There's a guy in Muldrow,OK that's building some nice rifles. He's built several F-Class rifles that are doing really well. Built me a 20 Prac that shot well and has built some for friends. All theirs shoot really well to.

Last edited:
Brent Parker on this site does excellent work. He has rebarreled a couple for me and is doing another 20 practical for me right now

Bob was big on that round, and wanted me to do one and try it. If I was in it as a controller and no hide interest it'd be a good one. Bob told me NO ONE but Hart offered that grade of barrel, and he knew all the makers well. He shot bench rest with them, and remained friends with them. He would use Lilja or Krieger if guys bought their own and insisted, but no one got their own brought in without hearing what he thought regardless. He told me I'd ought to listen to him and just build on a savage and save all the trueing, but I wanted my 700. It ended up being funny cus my 7mm-08 Mountain ended up being the truest Remington action he'd ever seen. He even typed it up in his build notes. He was really wanting to me to see the reason for the action trueing, but mine almost just lapped in on the face, or maybe actually did. Have to look at notes again, but furthest it was out from either direction was .0015" Bob said Big Green screwed up and we got a dud.

Thanks a bunch guys. Should have what I'll need to get a Montana made off a .204 Pro Varmint, as well as a Montana in .223 also when the dust settles now. Looks like it's just more time and money down the road from here forward to make it all happen.

Originally Posted By: gunsbam45Thanks a bunch guys. Should have what I'll need to get a Montana made off a .204 Pro Varmint, as well as a Montana in .223 also when the dust settles now. Looks like it's just more time and money down the road from here forward to make it all happen.

gunsbam45

If you hand load, I would suggest you consider making your .223 a .223AI. The basic round lends itself quite well to the AI configuration.

Just another thought. Check with "Snowshoes" on the Great White North Forum here. He is in love with that configuration.

I haven't done any hand loading for my rifles, just straight wall big bore revolver cartridges. I know that sounds bassackwards, but my rifles have always done what I needed them to, and the ammo I need isn't available for big bore revolvers. My 700 Sporter in .204 with 40 VMAX factory ammo has been perfect on coyotes with zero hide damage other than a tiny, tough to find entry hole, BUT, I never have shot a cat with that rifle yet. I may very well start doing some rifle loading if need be. I'm going to group my .204 at 100 today with the 40 VMAX factory ammo and see how it looks. I will look into the 223AI. If the Ackley round would feed alright it'd make a lot of sense.

Back