Air bag helpers, equilizer hitch or both?

pahntr760

On a half ton, both...depending on trailer size and tongue weight.

Seeing you said 3300#, you could probably get by with option 2 depending again on tongue weight.

Last edited:
If I could do only one, it'd be the weight distributing hitch, hands down. All the bags do is keep the load level, they won't really help move some of the weight off the back like the WD hitch. Get that hitch set right and you probably won't even need bags to level.

ETA, get the WD hitch with the sway control too. That'll be a major boon up there on the prairies where you are likely to be bucking the wind a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DesertRamIf I could do only one, it'd be the weight distributing hitch, hands down. All the bags do is keep the load level, they won't really help move some of the weight off the back like the WD hitch. Get that hitch set right and you probably won't even need bags to level.

ETA, get the WD hitch with the sway control too. That'll be a major boon up there on the prairies where you are likely to be bucking the wind a lot.

This is the way I am leaning. The anti-sway strut thing looks pretty nice, especially for a single axle trailer.

I'd say you're on the right track.

Back before we switched to a fifth wheel, I towed a 26-foot travel trailer of about 8k pounds loaded. I used a Curt 15k WD hitch with sway control. It worked very well to tame that trailer. Towing was pretty uneventful.

I use to pull a 27ft travel trailer. No problem with the f350 especially with with wd hitch and sway control.

I now pull a 37ft 5th wheel toy hauler. No problems pulling the beast but looking at airbags to help level the truck out.
It probably would be level while towing if i hadn't put the 2" leveling blocks up front.

My travel trailer is 32' and weights just shy of 8,000 lbs dry.
I use a wd hitch that is adjusted for my set up now, towing is smooth and easy. I very rarely need the anti sway bar,but it is always stowed in the travel trailer in case its needed for a heavy cross wind. I haven't felt the need for air bags,that would cut into gun money.

I agree with everyone else. If you were putting camper in the bed of the truck I'd do air bags but with a trailer a equalizer hitch make sense.

Troy is correct. When we go out, I tow the camp trailer with my F-250 and my wife goes our enclosed ATV trailer. She is pulling about 6000 lbs with her F-150 using the WD hitch with no problems. We have been doing it that way for about 4 years now. If the hitch is adjusted properly, they work great.

Back