The Magnificent Seven

Kirsch

Sorry for the long read, but this was a truly unique experience for me. Let me start by saying this has been a tough coyote season. Everyone I know who hunts coyotes in my area has said the same thing. My fur buyer is seeing it as well. It seems to be a trifecta of lower numbers, standing corn everywhere, and 4+ feet of snow that arrived already in October and has never left.

The action seemed to be getting a little better recently and I was off to Shot Show. Upon my return, I was greeted with a nice warm spell but it has led to foggy nights. January 30th rolled around and the fog was finally supposed to lift. I hit the road on a 2+ hour drive excited for my highly anticipated night. About 1 hour into my drive, the fog set in and persisted all the way to my first stop of the night.

A long time friend and cattle rancher told me they had seen as many 6 coyotes in the area recently. I wondered if it even made sense to try and hunt with all the fog. Thermals are impacted by fog/humidity but I knew I could still see far enough to shoot with my equipment. The negative is I wouldn't see them until they were fairly close. Since, I knew the layout of the area, I decided to give it a try. As soon as I stepped out of the truck, my optimism increased as I heard 2 separate packs of coyotes howling.

My thoughts with 2 different packs nearby was to start with some low volume prey distress, and then if nothing showed up, switch to some very aggressive vocals. I wasn't more than 30 seconds into the stand when coyote #1 rolled in. Over the next 45 minutes, it was what coyote hunting dreams are made of with 7 coyotes laying on the ground in front of me. This stand will always hold a special place in my heart because it is where I harvested THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!

seven.jpg

Stand Recap:
The first 5 coyotes all responded to prey distress. After coyote #5, nothing showed up for another 5-10 minutes and I heard a coyote in the distance howl, so it was time to switch. I moved to vocalizations and harvested the final 2. In total, I shot at 7 coyotes and got all 7. All coyotes were DRT with the exception of the last one. It probably wasn't going anywhere but after squeezing the trigger, I wasn't confident in the shot, so followed up quickly just in case.

The fur was good on most of the coyotes with the exception of coyote #5 which is the one on the far right. It appears to have mange. It will be very evident when you watch the video.

10 coyotes showed up in total. A pair appeared as I was just shooting #2, and never would recommit. After shooting coyote #5, I repositioned back towards the call, when I looked back and saw another coyote on the bale pile where I just shot the last two. I quickly swung over, but the coyote had disappeared, so it was almost eight.

What was so odd, is all the coyotes I shot at came in very controlled and as singles. Normally, the whole bunch comes at once and on fire.

I may hunt the rest of my life and never experience a stand like this again. Some may be thinking I wonder how the rest of the night went. The fog continued to get worse but I did manage to get 4 more for the night to end with 11. I will post the final 4 in a future video. Thank you for bearing with my long story, and I hope you enjoy the video.

If it ever gets better than that, I don't know how you could stand it. Kudos to you on a great accomplishment, great video. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Possumal57If it ever gets better than that, I don't know how you could stand it. Kudos to you on a great accomplishment, great video. Thanks for posting. You are right, I started getting a mild case of the "shakes" after shooting #4 as I've shot quite a few quads in my life but had never shot 5 before. My adrenaline was pumping knowing there could be more still on the way. I calmed myself down just in time for the rest.

I should probably pack it up and quit coyote hunting because that is probably the best it will ever get at least with only one hunter on a stand.

Excellent video!what caliber are you using?Also did you use prey distress,or predator distress calls. And it looks like a Flir thermal,how do you like it,i'm going thermal soon.THX And great shooting.

Originally Posted By: Ohiolongarm Excellent video!what caliber are you using? 22-250, shooting Berger 52gr Target HPs.
Originally Posted By: OhiolongarmAlso did you use prey distress,or predator distress calls. I am not a big fan of rabbit distress since it is used so much but for this stand Cottentail Distress just seemed right.
Originally Posted By: OhiolongarmAnd it looks like a Flir thermal,how do you like it,i'm going thermal soon.THX And great shooting. This video was recorded with a Flir PTS536. I love the scope for open country hunting. However, Flir recently announced it is no longer selling civilian thermals. I also own a Bering Optics Hogster 35mm but have it on another rifle, so was using the Flir for this video. Due to the Flir announcement and my ProStaff arrangement with Night Goggles, I am looking at potentially going to a Pulsar Thermion XQ50.

Kirsch, is that how you call at night using thermal? Sitting down with rifle clamped in tripod with the call next to you or is that just for the picture?

Originally Posted By: ArhoadesKirsch, is that how you call at night using thermal? Sitting down with rifle clamped in tripod with the call next to you or is that just for the picture? No, I don't have the call sitting by me when calling. That is just for the picture. I try to use good day techniques at night. You can get by with a little more movement at night, but coyotes will still try to come downwind of the sound if possible. At night, I have the electronic call approximately 50 yards from me. I prefer to call into the crosswind. I position the call so when a coyote is close to being downwind of the call, they are in my perfect shooting lane with no possible way of catching my scent.

I scan with a Pulsar Thermion XP38 scanner, and when I see a coyote coming, I switch over to my gun which in this picture is connected to a Night Stalker Pro tripod. Most of the time I use the standard Night Stalker, but wanted to use the Pro for this night as I was not anticipating walking long distances from the truck. I would say the majority of people stand for night hunting. I prefer sitting. Once on stand, I connect the gun to the tripod via an Arca Swiss plate. 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off.

Outside of the cat I shot this has been the worst season ever! My health problems and weather kept me out of the game almost all season. Now the flu.. Frustrating!

Nice to see you pile up 7 coyotes! Very jealous! lol

Phenomenal night Korey, this is amazing to me that they just kept coming shot after shot! This will likely never happen to me here in Utah, but I’m still going to have to try! I mean a guy can dream right!

Awesome work !

Originally Posted By: VancePhenomenal night Korey, this is amazing to me that they just kept coming shot after shot! This will likely never happen to me here in Utah, but I’m still going to have to try! I mean a guy can dream right! It can happen anywhere, at anytime. I know of two tournaments in the area and the winning teams had 2 coyotes for both tournaments. For the one tournament, there were only 3 coyotes shot total. Moral of the story, it can happen even when hunting is tough.

As for them continuing to come in, I am shooting suppressed which probably helped, the first 6 were all killed with single shots which helped, and I was fairly close to a ranch so I think they were used to some noise. Still even with all those factors, there was a lot of luck on that stand.

Great job Kirsch. It must’ve been hard to fight back the excitement and adrenaline to hang in there after getting #3, especially #4. I guess patience, having some background info on numbers spotted prior to setup, and hearing them when you got there helped to stick with it. Darn good shooting! Thanks for sharing the story and the video/pictures.

Originally Posted By: AdamTGreat job Kirsch. It must’ve been hard to fight back the excitement and adrenaline to hang in there after getting #3, especially #4. I guess patience, having some background info on numbers spotted prior to setup, and hearing them when you got there helped to stick with it. Darn good shooting! Thanks for sharing the story and the video/pictures. I typically don't stay 45 minutes on a stand. Knowing the area had lots of coyotes, and the success of the stand helped me stay longer than normal. There was action on the stand all the way up to 35 minutes. Even at 35 minutes, I still had a coyote challenge barking at me. I tried to make it budge for about 10 minutes, and decided to give it up at that time.

I spoke to the rancher the following day and he said it is the first time he can remember they didn't see a coyote while feeding the cows. Not a big surprise.

Originally Posted By: yotesniper13 22-250 AR10? Yes. Specialized Dynamics. My hunting partner shoots the Alex Pro version and they both shoot very well.

Back