Ball head or Leveling head?

1trkyhntr

Anyone here use a leveling head rather than a ball head on their tripod?
Pros/cons to a leveling head?
I'm looking at getting another tripod set up and am thinking about the RRS leveling head. I know that they only tilt about 15 degrees, is that enough for hunting?
Whichever option I choose it will be a direct mount to the rifle.

I have a bh55 and an rrs leveling. I used the leveling head one time and that was enough. Without a smooth panning joint they get chattery real quick. I tried disassembling and lubing it with vaseline and it didnt make it usable either. For just shooting at a stationary target it would be fine but it's no good for doing even a minimal amount of scanning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I have a bh55 and an rrs leveling. I used the leveling head one time and that was enough. Without a smooth panning joint they get chattery real quick. I tried disassembling and lubing it with vaseline and it didnt make it usable either. For just shooting at a stationary target it would be fine but it's no good for doing even a minimal amount of scanning.

I'm actually looking at the BH55. I was just wondering if the Leveling head would be a little more stable. But reading what your experience was has me leaning towards the ball head.
I own a decent Manfrotto tripod & ball head and a Night Stalker tripod & ball head as a spare/loaner.
Looking at upgrading, probably going to sell the Night Stalker and keep the Manfrotto setup as the loaner.

Last edited:
I use a innorel 90 tripod with the new RRS TA-2U-SC leveling head with soar clamp. It has 20 degrees of range instead of the 15. I like it more than the desmond d-low 55 ball head I was using. It locks up with less effort and faster. If you are scanning with your gun the ballhead will be smoother for that.

I like my fluid head better than my ball heads but it only works in warm weather. Ball head in the cold when I’m shooting predators. Just get both

I had the nightstalker tripod with ball head and upgraded to a field optics research bowl top tripod and direct mount leveling base. Not even comparable.

Used the new setup a ton already this season, never had an issue with range of motion. I have even used it without a scanner and never felt comprised. What it gives up in planning flexibility it makes up for in stability. After dealing with wobbling having a solid rest was my main priority. FWIW I put a touch of synthetic motor oil in the bowl, it's smooth and silent. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: P&YI had the nightstalker tripod with ball head and upgraded to a field optics research bowl top tripod and direct mount leveling base. Not even comparable.

Used the new setup a ton already this season, never had an issue with range of motion. I have even used it without a scanner and never felt comprised. What it gives up in planning flexibility it makes up for in stability. After dealing with wobbling having a solid rest was my main priority. FWIW I put a touch of synthetic motor oil in the bowl, it's smooth and silent. Good luck!

Link?

Originally Posted By: P&YI had the nightstalker tripod with ball head and upgraded to a field optics research bowl top tripod and direct mount leveling base. Not even comparable.

Thanks for your response. I've pretty much decided on a Feisol 3372 tripod, still looking at ball heads but just about decided on the RRS BH55, but maybe the Anvil 30.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Originally Posted By: P&YI had the nightstalker tripod with ball head and upgraded to a field optics research bowl top tripod and direct mount leveling base. Not even comparable.

Link?

Sorry don't know how to attach a link but it's fieldopticsresearch.com. You can get the precision bowl top tripod and leveling base as a package.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrOriginally Posted By: P&YI had the nightstalker tripod with ball head and upgraded to a field optics research bowl top tripod and direct mount leveling base. Not even comparable.

Thanks for your response. I've pretty much decided on a Feisol 3372 tripod, still looking at ball heads but just about decided on the RRS BH55, but maybe the Anvil 30.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your decision, RRS stuff looks excellent!

Last edited:
..I use the RRS TA-2 with clamp(2018 model)and Feisol ct-3371

...excellent combo and never had issue with degrees and we hunt some good terrain changes

If your thinking seriously about the RRS-BH55 ballhead but dislike the cost factor - then maybe look at either Feisol or Leofoto models - the Leofoto looks to be a copy of the RRS and gets high reviews from photographers.

Back