2020 Pulsar Products

They said it has some kind of metal body. Wonder what that thing weighs? Bering Optics Hogster is looking better and better.

Last edited:
Me too, and with FLIR/Armasight (I assume) bowing out of the civilian market, the picture is becoming clearer. IF I was in the market for a thermal today (I'm not) I'd buy the Hogster R from NGI.

6mm06,

Adding an XQ option back in the trail and the Thermion will help with a big part of what you are suggesting they should do. I have been hard on pulsar, but I do feel releasing the XQ 17 micron, 384 series with the newer, better sensor was a good idea. The trail 2 is large but the picture does make it look worse than I thought in person. For people needing a LRF, it should be a nice option.

From a weight perspective, it actually felt lighter to me than the previous model trail. They did change the material the scope is made of and removed the heat sink. Hopefully, this means no POI issue.

Per some of the other comments, I would concur for the money, the Hogster is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: murdocI believe it’s a magnesium housing. What I was told anyway. That is what I was told as well.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: vetman1Korey, Do you know if the Thermions will be getting the new 40 mK NETD sensor now or in the future? I asked Pulsar, and they said yes.

Originally Posted By: vetman1Also, was the screen in the Trail 2 as large and as crisp as the screen in the current Thermion XP50? Yes, Pulsar said the Trail 2 will have the new displays like theThermion.

Many People complained when the XQ series was replaced by the XM series. Pulsar must’ve taken notice as there will be XQ options in both the Thermion and the Trail 2 going forward. It will have an updated core and display and be 17 micron 384res again.

Pricing and timelines unknown.
Kirsch, what does the current Thermion XP50 have for its sensor compared to this 40mK? I have a Thermion XP50 on order now and wondering if this new sensor is something to wait on or not. Thanks

Originally Posted By: G AndersonKirsch, what does the current Thermion XP50 have for its sensor compared to this 40mK? I have a Thermion XP50 on order now and wondering if this new sensor is something to wait on or not. Thanks The cores are all ULIS cores. Base mag and FOV won’t change.

With no confirmed release date yet, and the history of thermal companies missing these dates, unless you don’t need to use it for hunting for a long time, I would recommend going with what you have on order.

I didn’t hear this officially from pulsar, but have read previously the V1 sensors were somewhere between 55 and 60mK. The lower the number, the better the thermal contrast. This is often called NETD which is Noise Equivalent Temperature Difference. Before anyone asks, no I don’t know the values of other thermal manufacturers such as Flir, Bering optics, Triicon, ATN, etc.

It is something that is important, but there are other factors that are involved as well including the aperture of the lens. It is something Pulsar is really pushing to differentiate how their new core is better. Personally, I think they would’ve been better off saying something like the V2 core is X% more sensitive than the previous. When you start to spout out technical jargon, It might make sense to electrical engineer, but not to the standard Hunter.

One last comment on the trail 2. I know it looks really funny, but I believe that was a special extension designed for bolt action rifles in the European market. If you get rid of the long extension, it is similar in size to the typical Trail.

Originally Posted By: KirschOne last comment on the trail 2. I know it looks really funny, but I believe that was a special extension designed for bolt action rifles in the European market. If you get rid of the long extension, it is similar in size to the typical Trail.

Will that extension be available to those of us that want to use a bolt rifle?

Back