Hogster Coyote Double

Kirsch

Had a chance to record 2 pairs of coyotes with the Hogster-R 35mm on the same stand. It was fairly humid and cold. The image is good but you can see what starts to happen to a 384 core when you use digital zoom, per the PIP window.

As I have said before, the flicker is an issue with my DVR. I am looking for other options for recording.

22-250 shooting, 1"high at 100. Agree, both clips visually look like the reticle may be on the low side. Both hits were OK. The coyotes position was slightly elevated, and the flashing icon on the DVR recording doesn't help.

I thought image looked pretty good. What was the distance? Does the hogster have the red instalert? If so is there a reason why you don’t use it or just a matter of preference?

Originally Posted By: ToroI thought image looked pretty good. What was the distance? Does the hogster have the red instalert? If so is there a reason why you don’t use it or just a matter of preference? For the humidity, image was good. Distance on both coyotes was around 125.

The Hogster has 4 color options. White hot, black hot, instalert, and multicolor. For my Flir, I shoot almost exclusively block hot. For some reason, when I sighted my Hogster in, I used white hot, and just haven't changed it. When you have colored reticles, it isn't as vital.

I know lots of people love instalert, but I want as clear of a sight picture as possible. Having parts of the animal glow red to me is distracting. As you said, it is preference. I would probably use a different reticle color if using instalert. I would also say the sensitivity of the instalert doesn't seem as vivid on the Bering as on Flir and some other thermals I have used.

You mean to tell me that after the first shot, one of them came back with a friend? Or were these two, completely different coyotes?
Great video too, well done Korey!

Originally Posted By: VanceYou mean to tell me that after the first shot, one of them came back with a friend? Or were these two, completely different coyotes?
Great video too, well done Korey! Pretty sure these were two sets of different coyotes. When a coyote is already shot, typically the other coyotes will usually smell the dead one, but they followed the original path of the first pair and didn't seem to notice the dead one.

Awesome vid. I'm looking at purchasing the Hogster R 25mm version.

There's not many video's out on these except the few from those affiliated with Bering optics.

Do you have any comparison video's of the 2?

What should I expect the difference to be besides base magnification?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
I did a comparison video found in the following thread. The video may not be totally fair to the 25 because I had a focus extender on my 35, so I could get the focus a little more fine-tuned.

Besides FOV and base mag. The other differences are:

Price: 25m is $500 less expensive
Base: The 35mm has a little more secure base
End cap: The 35mm has a butler creek cap and the 25 has an end cap.

I prefer the base and cap of the 35.

What I typically tell people is if mainly using it as a scanner or shooting mainly inside of 100 yards, go with the 25. If you mainly use it on the gun and shoot 100-200, then go with the 35.

Is the pip just always 2x the main screen? Looks like the 35 is 2x base and pip will be 4x.
If you switch to 4x base does pip go up in mag too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Is the pip just always 2x the main screen? Looks like the 35 is 2x base and pip will be 4x.
If you switch to 4x base does pip go up in mag too?
PIP for the Hogster is always double whatever the primary window is. The primary window is 2x, 4x, 6x, and 8x on the 35 so PIP would be 4x, 8x, 12x, and 16x.

Sir,what's your assessment of the Hogster?anything in same price point better,I know little about thermal optics,but I'm leaning in that direction. I talked to someone today at Night goggles,line two.My application would be coyotes at about 200 yards.Would this unit do the job. THX

Originally Posted By: Ohiolongarm Sir,what's your assessment of the Hogster?anything in same price point better,I know little about thermal optics,but I'm leaning in that direction. I talked to someone today at Night goggles,line two.My application would be coyotes at about 200 yards.Would this unit do the job. THX If you want to shoot to 200, I would recommend the Hogster-R 35mm over the 25mm. It has 2x base (optical) magnification while the 25mm is only 1.4x.

To answer your question, I have not found any other scope in the Hogster's price range with a better image or features currently being produced. When the new Pulsar Thermion XQ38 releases, you would get recording and an internal battery for another $600-$700 but that will be the next closest scope. The other really nice thing about the Hogsters, is they can also be used as a scanner due to their compact size.

Originally Posted By: FredritzKirsch been seeing a lot of talk about these hogster scopes....what about the beast? I tested one very briefly. In all fairness, I found out later this scope was programmed to only show 1/2 the screen on base mag. I am not sure why this one test scope was sent to me versus a standard configured scope. This bugged me so much that I really didn't test it much. I was told this is not the way the factory scopes work. Even with that said, I did not like the controls or menu system. It seemed very complex and cumbersome and the buttons were hard to push. It has a Flir core but I don't believe it is the newer Boson core. I much preferred the IRAY core in the Hogster as well as the buttons.

Kirsch said:
I did a comparison video found in the following thread. The video may not be totally fair to the 25 because I had a focus extender on my 35, so I could get the focus a little more fine-tuned.
Korey, what did you end up using for that throw lever? If I have any issue with my Hogster it is that the focus wheel is difficult to fine tune in the dark with gloves on.

Back