The Hide while night calling

Kirsch, your monopod for your scanner inspired me. Lately been having to scan with this HEAVY Trijicon so I jury rigged a tripod for it. I stand sit or kneel on stand. Have to be versatile cause the critters sure are.

Glad it helped. Mine isn't a true monopod as it doesn't rest on the ground as it is simply a selfie stick. Holding a scanner up for continuous viewing for 20+ minutes straight ends up being a lot of wear and tear on your arms and shoulders. I keep mine fairly extended to it almost rests in my lap. My hunting partner keeps his a little shorter and still thinks it helps. What I try not to do is end up with even more stuff to carry to a stand.

I sit every stand day or night. Better concealment, and I can shoot a lot more accurate when sitting, using a bipod, and being able to support my trigger hand elbow on my knee. Plus tripod that are heavy enough to hold a rifle steady is far more bundle some to haul to every stand than my bipod.

No need to worry about hiding your truck. I recently purchased an electric bike. I park my truck far away from my calling locations and head out on my bike for a long hunt. It’s the best piece of calling equipment I own. It’s quite, leaves no scent trail, a lot quicker and easier than walking, when you get to your setup just lay it down on the ground. Plus it’s a lot better on this old man’s back and legs because i have it rigged out to carry everything on the rack. I paid $1200 for the bike, racks and fenders. It’s got fat tires and I can get at least 30 miles out the battery when fully charged. It will also slide under fences a lot better than a truck.

I’ve pretty much gone the other way. I bought a glorified lawn chair that has a shelf that folds up with a cup holder. I sit up straighter, am more comfortable and stable, can put my scanner or caller in the cup holder as needed and if I get hard left or right shots I can lift my tripod up easily and move it. I’m hunting farm lots behind building with trees I can get tight too to get in their shade at night. Have no problem with coyotes seeing me, prolly had@10 within 50yds since mid November, usually have plenty of time to get a good shot. I’m lucky in that I rarely have to walk more than a 100 yds to make a stand and bring some of these are working farms I think they’re use to the human scent. Called @25 since mid November and seen coyotes every time I’ve been out. Hit 3-5 places a night one night a week and usually home by 9. In my sixties and tired of trying to get out of that turkey lounger.

The winners of the tournament here this weekend used a truck with a tower. Neutral color on the truck. They brought in 40 coyotes in 24 hrs. and passed the lie detector test.

Back