Baiting

Thanks 06 & DU for the antenna and other mods help. I got antennas on both transmitters and one on the receiver. Seems to be doing better with me tripping it now. Tonight will tell about game tripping hopefully. Coyote must have took offense to the window seal deal, he ain't been back. Red and gray foxes are getting their fill now and they get the pass. Waited a month for a coyote to show then blew it. Oh well, I have had worse issues. I forget some of the kills, but the ones that I should have killed that get away stick like glue.

Believe me they stick with you a long time and if they don' you probably should find some other interests. I lost a beautiful black one back in Dec. of 2011 and it still bothers me.

How high are your sensors mounted?

After several years my old alarm system played out and I replaced it with this system. Which works well and is usable at least to 155 yds. My bait pile is 90 yds. and it works very well at that distance. The four sensors have 16850 rechargeable batteries and last a long time without needing a recharge. It is a little more money but has 4 sensors each of which can be set to a different alarm tone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSKCQ1X/ref=twister_B081NCB4XJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I now have my sensors at 12" off the ground, had them about 18" before and then read where 06 had his at 12". They just worked perfect, pair of grays came in, one then 2 about 7PM. With the antenna, I can now have the receiver closer to the living room where before it had to be in the window of the guest room we were gonna shoot from. I can actually hear it now without my wife having to tell me it is going off. COOL!!!

DU that 4 sensor looks like it would really work well.

Last edited:
Last night we didn't do anything on our calling stand and gave it close to an hour. Well we did call in a bobcat, and they always get a pass. Came home and saw one in the field, but spooked her off. She came back about an hour later. She ran about 50 yds. Female-28 lbs.-Range was 215 yds.-double lung

IMG_0564 by Double Up, on Flickr

About an hour later decided to check the field again and saw the second one, pretty big male weighed in at 39 lbs. 4 0z.- Range was 301 yds on him. I thought he might come closer, but looked like he was going back to the woods, so I took the long shot again.

IMG_0570 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpSounds like you're loaded for bear now, ah, I mean coyotes. Looking forward to pics and video. Will it be you or the "Hammer"?

It's "her turn" to shoot.

I saw this coyote on Monday night but the Fire Department doing drills spooked her out of the field. Last night I was too tired to go calling, but I made 3 male howls (Blackout) around 7:30. About 8 I looked out and this female was working across the field. Amazingly she didn't spook a couple of deer along the edge of my yard. I killed her at 240 yds., and it may look easy but it definitely is not. I have discovered though for you baiters that making a two or three howls seems to bring coyotes in looking. It may take an hour or more, but it has paid off for me the past couple of years. Don't overcall though, just two or three howls is enough.

IMG_0573 by Double Up, on Flickr

I have lived on 5 acres a few miles outside of town for 2 years now. Always dreamed of doing a bait pile but never did. Thought our dogs would get into it and I thought the IR torch from my night vision scope would scare them when I turned it on all of the sudden.

Well I bought an XP50 Thermion for night hunting over a call. Then last weekend we butchered a pig so I figured now is the time. I set the pile up 151 yards from my living room window across my pond. First two nights the pig guts and scraps were out there I didn't check it any because my inlaws were in town helping butcher. The third night my inlaws had went back home and I let the dogs out to potty before bed and they were looking over at the gut pile sniffing really hard with their tails up in the air. I grabbed my xq23v and there was one on the pile but it ran off as soon as I saw it. I got the dogs inside and opened the living room window and switched to my gun and Thermion. About 15 minuets later two of them came back and I got one.

The next night I saw one before bed but it ran off before I could get him shot.

Last night I was working out in my shop until about 11:15 and when I was walking to the house I checked the pile and there was one walking around. I had my gun already because I had foreseen this situation and didnt want to have to go in the front door with one out there. I used a pole on our front porch has a rest and I missed. Lesson Learned. I will be making sure I have an adequate rest.

My next step is to get a driveway alarm for the pile. I was going to use this unless anyone recommends something better:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardline-50...L2000/302927400

Last edited:

Congrats to DoubleUp and Dozer for a couple of good shots. Dozer, you are right that a good rest is needed. Too bad about the second coyote but hopefully another one will be along shortly and you can redeem yourself. The Thermion view looks pretty good.

dozer, good shooting.

I upgraded to this alarm system. It works at 155 yds. and has 4 sensors with 16850 batteries that only need recharging once a year. The sensors can be set to send a different tone for each sensor to the base unit. Cost is $119.

Another one bit the dust tonight. Female. 70 yards. Came in fairly early. Neck shot with 40gr Nosler BT for the win. I need to invest in a basket like DoubleUp has one of these days...

[video:youtube][/video]

s40Vbu5.jpg

F8Uh2mf.jpg

Last edited:
Very good video Burn. You're right Week, I missed the link. Actually I copied it from the post I made to you, and then forgot to paste it in. Thanks for correcting that. I'm not going to claim that it is age related.

So my bait pile is about 450 feet from my livingroom. I bought the 500 foot guardline alarm from my link above. It came in today before I got your recommendation on what to use. Well no matter what I do I can only get about 150 feet out of it. Wasted a lot of my wifes and my own time tonight trying to re sync it, reset, test and so on. Very very frustrating

Dozer, the link to the units I use worked well for me at 155 yds. For the past year or so, I've had my bait pile at 90 yds., but before that I two piles and one of them was exactly 155 yds. with two sensors on it and two on the 90 yd. pile. It worked well by being able to use different tones on each sensor. That way I knew where the animal was supposed to be.

It took so much extra bait that I just put all four sensors on the 90 yd. pile with two facing toward the bait at a scissor angle and two facing away.

Sorry you invested in something which doesn't work, but most of us have been there too. Some things work and some don't.

I haven't had much action on the bait pile this year, but I lay that off to the fact that I've been seeing them with the thermal and killing them when over time they would probably have found the bait at the pile.

Back