I bought the FLIR Scion OTM-266

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntr
SkyPup said:
Have not tried them, I did try three 16650s and that did not work.

I don’t see why they would not work though, since the rechargeable external battery pack I am using has the same higher Li ion voltage.

I've been looking at the Scion lately. I don't doubt you SkyPup, I just don't understand why 3 16650's won't work. 2 CR123's are the same length as 1 16650. That is disappointing. Maybe 6 16340's will work, but if not the Scion will cost way too much to operate as much as I hunt.

16650s are 3.7 volts, two CR123s are 6 volts.

Replacing two primary CR123s with one 16650 is not enough voltage.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: 1trkyhntr
SkyPup said:
Have not tried them, I did try three 16650s and that did not work.

I don’t see why they would not work though, since the rechargeable external battery pack I am using has the same higher Li ion voltage.

I've been looking at the Scion lately. I don't doubt you SkyPup, I just don't understand why 3 16650's won't work. 2 CR123's are the same length as 1 16650. That is disappointing. Maybe 6 16340's will work, but if not the Scion will cost way too much to operate as much as I hunt.

16650s are 3.7 volts, two CR123s are 6 volts.

Replacing two primary CR123s with one 16650 is not enough voltage.
You're right, hadn't thought about that.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupIf could somehow retire the battery pack to take two 16650 in series it would work, but not in parallel.

It's not a big deal to use 16340's. I already use them in an illumiator that I have. But my charger only does 2 at a time.
I'm looking at the Scion pretty seriously. I have never been disappointed with a FLIR product.

My buddy just got the Scion. He used regular CR123's (3V) until they died tonight. He replaced them with rechargeable CR123's (3.7v 16340's) and it would not work. The icons (compass, etc) were not displayed and it shut off repeatedly. He put in regular CR123's and it worked. Maybe other Scions will work with 16340's, but his won't.
He is happy with the image quality, but very disappointed that he cannot use rechargeable batteries.
Unless FLIR comes out with a rechargeable battery pack I won't be getting one for myself. I can't afford to feed it.

Last edited:
Any rechargeable battery pack works through the mini C USB port, my Anker 27,000 mAHr runs it for a week all day and night.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAny rechargeable battery pack works through the mini C USB port, my Anker 27,000 mAHr runs it for a week all day and night.

I can't find an Anker 27000 battery pack on their website. They list several 26800 models. Can you tell me where you got yours and what model#? Also, how did you attach it to the Scion?

Thanks

It doesn't need to be a 27000 battery pack. I also prefer Anker packs, but typically don't go that large as it is weight and capacity not needed. As Skypup says he can run it for a week. For me, why have something that large and heavy when a much smaller one will still last days. I typically use a 6700 or 10000 mAh pack. They all are typically 5v. A USB-c cord is fairly common and can be purchased for under $10 on Amazon.

I don't believe the OTM-266 or any of the OTMs have a picatinny rail attachment. One option would be to jbweld some type of tripod plate to the pack so it could be mounted on the bottom of the unit. This would not be an elegant solution. Just guessing, but assume Skypup probably has the battery in a pocket or vest, and is simply running a cable to the unit.

Originally Posted By: KirschIt doesn't need to be a 27000 battery pack. I also prefer Anker packs, but typically don't go that large as it is weight and capacity not needed. As Skypup says he can run it for a week. For me, why have something that large and heavy when a much smaller one will still last days. I typically use a 6700 or 10000 mAh pack. They all are typically 5v. A USB-c cord is fairly common and can be purchased for under $10 on Amazon.

I don't believe the OTM-266 or any of the OTMs have a picatinny rail attachment. One option would be to jbweld some type of tripod plate to the pack so it could be mounted on the bottom of the unit. This would not be an elegant solution. Just guessing, but assume Skypup probably has the battery in a pocket or vest, and is simply running a cable to the unit.

I just got off of the phone with my buddy. Unknown to me FLIR included an external battery pack with his Scion. He said that he could not figure out why they sent that he just assumed that it was a free gift and that it was maybe for a phone. He's going to try it and see if it powers the Scion. If so we'll figure out a way to attach it, maybe screw a clip into the 1/4x20 tripod mount and attach a pouch to that? I'll follow up if the pack works or not as soon as he lets me know.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223FLIR officially responded via email that rechargeable CR123s are okay to use in the OTM266.

I don't know why my buddy's Scion did not like them. It does not make sense to me.
I will add this, my buddy ordered 16340's from Orbtronics and they are just a hair longer than alkaline CR123's. They will not fit in the Scion battery tray. I had a couple of 16340's from Elusive Wildlife and they are the exact same length as alkaline's and they did fit, but for whatever reason the Scion did not work right with them. According to my meter they were fully charged.
Before you order 16340's check the specs for the length. Sometimes protected cell rechargeable batteries are a little longer because of the protection circuit. The FLIR tray is tight even with alkaline's and too short for the longer protected cells.

I haven't heard back from him about the battery pack that FLIR sent.

I've been running Rechargeable 123s in the Hogster. It has a 3.7 volt option in setup for running the rechargeables. I realize this isn't Flir, but here are the batteries I have been using when not using a battery pack.
Link

Can someone elaborate on the FLIR status? I've heard they recently announced they are no longer selling civilian thermals

Does this apply to all of their thermals including hand held scanners?

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Can someone elaborate on the FLIR status? I've heard they recently announced they are no longer selling civilian thermals

Does this apply to all of their thermals including hand held scanners? I have not seen an official announcement besides what was stated on their earnings report. Flir is not denying the rumors, and although riflescopes are still listed on their site, they are not showing as for sale. The 2 Flir OTS reps were not at the Flir booth any longer when I went to talk to them at Shot Show. From everything I have heard and read, they will support/service all existing models until they are out of warranty. The Scion and Breach will continue to be available as part of their Military and Law Enforcement offerings.

Although Flir will have some scanner options, many dealers focusing on the hunting market will stop carrying Flir all together for leaving the civilian market.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Burnsome...Can someone elaborate on the FLIR status? I've heard they recently announced they are no longer selling civilian thermals

Does this apply to all of their thermals including hand held scanners? I have not seen an official announcement besides what was stated on their earnings report. Flir is not denying the rumors, and although riflescopes are still listed on their site, they are not showing as for sale. The 2 Flir OTS reps were not at the Flir booth any longer when I went to talk to them at Shot Show. From everything I have heard and read, they will support/service all existing models until they are out of warranty. The Scion and Breach will continue to be available as part of their Military and Law Enforcement offerings.

Although Flir will have some scanner options, many dealers focusing on the hunting market will stop carrying Flir all together for leaving the civilian market.

And I, a civilian consumer, will stop buying FLIR. I have been a big FLIR fan, but I'll be looking elsewhere now for thermal. I am disappointed that they have made this choice.

Dispite the not-so-long battery life and probably having to run with an external battery power source for long nights, I'm looking at the SCION OTM 266 640 60HZ 18MM vs the SCION OTM 136 320 60HZ 13.8MM for a scanner.

Most of my hunting is in the woods. Can someone recommend if the 13.8mm would be better than the 18mm for FOV? I'm leaning towards the 18mm though.

Last edited:
Back