The North Trail (#57)

Snowshoes

After two days straight of seeing coyotes using the north trail, I anticipated an action packed morning of coyotes and more coyotes. Well, I should know better than to get my hopes too high but I couldn’t help it.
A warm 41*F yesterday afternoon combined with a temperature of 7*F this morning put a heavy crust on our snows.
With the truck parked in a deep draw at first light, it would be a matter of a quarter mile walk to my look out spot. I was appreciating the packed coyote trail to walk to a willow bush on the fence line that I have sat at numerous times over the years.

As I sit there awaiting for the northbound travelers, I can hear a rooster from a farm a half mile away informing the world that it was the beginning of a new day. Magpies and ravens off in the distance were also chatting it up. A Downy woodpecker tapped away on a tree a few feet behind me and its times like this, that I feel thankful to be out and enjoying the outdoors.
Twenty minutes pass before seeing any coyote activity at the barns 500 yards away. Two coyotes atop a dirt pile make a short appearance but are gone as quick as they showed up. From where I am sitting , my view is very limited around the barns so I just have to be patient and hope there is a few more coyotes in the area.
Fifteen additional minutes pass before seeing another coyote. This one is angling across the field to the east of me and making good time as it travels on the newly crusted snow. I watch the coyote until it vanishes out of sight and then focus back to the trail I came to watch.
Ten minutes later another coyote is in view and this one also is traveling across the open field. Its destination looks to be the area of the barns. With the coyotes being able to stay on top of the snow now, I’m questioning my choice of location for intercepting them.
A few minute later I see a coyote crossing the open field a half mile south of me and my “high hopes” have now somewhat diminished.
Another twenty minutes tick by but this time I’m rewarded with the sight of two coyotes coming up the trail towards me.
At roughly 125 yards out, the lead coyote cuts off the trail and wanders onto the snow drifts along the fence line. The other coyote sticks to the trail and keeps a steady pace towards my location. What was later ranged at 62 yards, the coyote stops to look back at its partner and its then I send a bullet down the barrel of the 223. The big male drops on the trail and the other one is now on a full run and makes it back to safety without me firing a shot.

A quick look around for any other activity before I jog out and drag the coyote off the trail and out of sight. An addition half hour never produces any more coyotes, so I packed up and called it day.

Last edited:
let me chime in too. As the inmates in the jail I used to work in would say "Right On".

I hate to put an pressure on you, but if you Youtub"ed your hunts, you'd be one of those hero's. I would watch you. You could sell hats and crap like that. Have a big following and such (not like you don't now, I may not comment, but I am usually checking up on you!). I don't know might take all the fun out of it.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats, patience paid off for you again. Great pictures, thanks for sharing with us.
Patience comes easier with every passing year
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: P&YEnjoyed the story and photos as usual!
Good to hear!
Originally Posted By: Dave in mnNice story to wake up in the morning too. Beautiful day...
Also good to hear
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Threewolveslet me chime in too. As the inmates in the jail I used to work in would say "Right On".

I hate to put an pressure on you, but if you Youtub"ed your hunts, you'd be one of those hero's. I would watch you. You could sell hats and crap like that. Have a big following and such (not like you don't now, I may not comment, but I am usually checking up on you!). I don't know might take all the fun out of it.
I have a hard enough time getting everything to come together without throwing a video camera in the mix. lol
I sincerely appreciate your comments. Marketing a hobby that I truly enjoy could hold all kinds of possibilities ( however, not sure its right for me)
smile.gif

Back