How to clean a gas collar

shermanrm

I shoot a Win. SX3 and I love it.
However I can't figure out how to clean the "gas collar" if this is the right terminology. Can't get inside of it, so I need something to dissolve the carbon. Tried various gun solvents, put it in bottle of simple green and shook it around for a while.
Didn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mineral Spirt, Slip 2000, Gun Scrubber/Brake Cleaner, kerosene, lighter fluid... As long as the cleaner doesn't have acetone, that eats plastic.

I've got a Browning Maxus and I believe it has similar guts as the SX3. I use a ultrasonic cleaner for all of my gun parts and it works well.

rtayler- which one do you use?

Got some gun scrubber and it got some chunks out.
before I put used hoppes #9 and it cleaned it pretty good. a new bottle of hoppes does nothing.
Read up on slip 2000 will be ordering some.

Thanks for the replies.

It sounded like you needed to soak it in the Hoppe's for a while. Just repeating what I read. I shoot an 870 and a Silver Pigeon II. I don't have that problem. My smith is a shotgun guy. I'll see if he has any good suggestions on cleaning. I do know he uses B12 a lot.

So after yesterdays shoot I soaked the collar from a new bottle of Hoppes # 9. Did not touch any of the carbon fouling.
I cleaned it the first time from the end of a bottle that was around 30 yrs. old-took the fouling off like nothing.
Makes one wonder.

I soaked my browning Maxus piston in carbon remover. Have a small antifreeze bottle that fits the piston perfectly and fill it with carbon remover then let it soak for about 10 minutes. Scrub with a tooth brush, maybe let soak again for a few minutes and it comes out brand new.

This thread is a perfect commercial for an inertia shotgun. It may kick a little more but it is super easy to clean and it will run dirty. I love my Benelli's.

Sorry Sherman I just saw your question. I have the small Hornady one. I think any of them would work as long as it also has a heater on it. I usually dump my ar parts in there with Maxus parts and my wife's jewelry.

Thanks rtayler-am leaning to hornady

Maybe not a good advertisement-one of my teammates was shooting an inertia gun-this would have been 200 rds.-about 70 rds. in it quit closing the bolt all the way until he sprayed some oil on it
after about 10 rds. it starting working right.

Back