Coyote 56

Snowshoes

This morning I was set up in the same location as yesterday and with seeing a dozen or so coyotes at the barns upon my arrival, hopes were high!
Fifteen minutes later I watch three nice coyotes head north and that’s good because that’s where I plan to sit tomorrow. In the next 30 minutes I watch an additional three head north, two south and one east through cattails towards me. I let this one pass as it wasn’t a good looking coyote. In the next fifteen minutes I see another five coyotes roaming around the barns and soon another good looking coyote heads north which is encouraging for tomorrows hunt.
A couple minutes later I catch movement on the ice and I see what looks to be a good coyote headed my way. Closer inspection with the binoculars reveals it has shoulder mites and I manage to let this one pass also.
A few minutes later I see a pair coming down the cattail trail and I ready myself for their arrival. The lead coyote (which looked to be decent) stops dead in its tracks when it hits the spot where I dropped the coyote at 149 yards yesterday. It spins around and trots back the way it came. The second coyote which I thought would follow the other one, continued to where I shot the one yesterday and begins sniffing where the coyote had laid.
I can see this isn’t a good coyote but I wasn’t letting any more pass by. Cross hairs onto the chest and a 52 gr hp puts a second coyote down in that spot.

As long as the weather forecast doesn’t change, tomorrow might have potential for harvesting a decent coyote or two. Time will tell!

Congrats there Snowshoes, it takes a lot will power to let that many pass without dropping the hammer. But a nice one is the main goal for you and the man putting up the fur. Again Congrats and Thanks for taken us along with you.

Letting them pass by goes against my coyote hunting logic
smile.gif

Back