Help with lower build

Rafter

Hi folks, I am not new to this forum but I am new to AR’s. I have a 223 DTech upper but still need everything else to build the lower. Bolt, charging handle, stock, recoil buffer, grip and most importantly trigger. I want to use the rifle for coyotes and some squirrels. I don’t have the first clue on what brand parts to go with. Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Just don’t want to spend a bunch of money only to find out later I bought the wrong stuff. Really curious on your thoughts about which trigger to buy. Thanks!

Go with a good lower parts kit that comes without a trigger group. I really like the Ergo kit, myself. It has an ambi safety, anti-walk pins, and a nice grip. I also like a 2stage trigger,which is totally subjective. The Rock River with a lighter spring kit, like a JP yellow, suits me great and is relatively inexpensive. I like a stainless or nickel-boron bolt bolt carrier group for a little easier cleaning. The Armaspec sound mitigation buffer or stealth buffer are nice if you don't want to hear a standard buffer spring, not really a big deal, though. I like an ambidextrous charging handle, but aren't that important most of the time. I seem to buy a magpul adjustable stock when I get tired of looking at all the stocks available. Tons of good choices out there other than the ones I've listed.

Thank you for the advice. I was looking at the trigger tech as well just wasn’t sure because there are quite a few options and I don’t have any real experience with any.

I’ve got a triggertech in my spr. It’s a pretty nice trigger I’ve also got elfman se, I’d buy another ina while heartbeat. They can be had for 120 from arm or alley. I’ve got a pof 4.5# 2 stage trigger in my beowulf and like it enough so far too. You can get a rockriver varmint trigger from righttobear.com for like 75 bucks and they are nice triggers. I’ve got one in my 12.5”. Lower parts kits I normally price together. Take down pins, safety, jpsilent capture for the buffer. Ambi safety, or for a hunting rig I like the push button safety. Trigger guards I like the strike enhanced or magpul. Grips I like hogue and also the bcm mod 3. Raptor charge handles are nice. Bcg I’ve been buying bcm, battle arms as well as bcg from aimsurplus. Stocks of adjustable I like either Rodgers superstock or the ubr gen 2.

Last edited:
I buy the stoner lower parts kit when on sale and velocity 3lb triggers. I don't see any advantage to a more expensive lower parts kit. However it is hit-and-miss how loud the safety is but just put a little lube where it rides on the detent.

Last edited:
Back