Upper ? from an AR illiterate

Yes it is the one I won. I really don't want to burn up the barrel learning to shoot the thing, it is extremely accurate. I would really like to get used to the rifle. 20 practical ammo is just a lot harder to make than cheap .223 for shooting a lot..

Last edited:
Move that scope back, and spend some time at the range getting comfortable with it. Find the stock position and eye relief that works for you. When you're at the range, try getting set up the same way you do when you hunt. If you always shoot from a bench, its gonna be awkward when you transition to a hunting setup. Don't worry. You'll get it figured out long before you shoot that barrel out.

Hey AWS, how about I pull the .223 upper off my "door kicker" AR and drop it off for you to play with? Drop it on your lower, add your choice of optic, get a case of cheap milsup, and have a fun weekend. Let me know if that has some appeal.

Thanks for the offer. I'll pm you and talk about it.

I have about 14 boxes of M-55 that the sheriff gave me to do some control work back when I still was shooting a 223 bolt gun.

Last edited:
I just received a BCA 16" upper. It really gives the AR a whole different feel. It is a couple inches shorter and the BIGGY is the handguard is a half inch narrower and feels much better. Beavertail forends on shotguns are not comfortable for me either I do have small hands. Now to get it cleaned up and get to the range in the morning and sight it in and hunt on the way home.

Is there anyway you could shoot someones AR in your area. That would at least let you know if a differently set up AR is anywhere close to what you want without spending any money.

Not all weapon platforms fit everyone or works for everybody.

Just changing out the Upper with a lighter barrel and more slender handguard gave the AR a whole new feel. I loaded up some 62gr SP and 52gr HP's last night and it shot great with both of them. I did miss one on the way home he stopped just as I pulled the trigger and I didn't.

It is workable now, modified my scabbard to carry it and painted it tonight. I have a 1.5x6x42 Illuminated Circle dot scope to put on it next week and get it sighted in again. Surprisingly it isn't fussy about loads, I just grabbed a couple out of the book with 2230 and shot well with the 1-4 scope I had on it.

I'm trying to figure out what moving the scope back will do. If I move it back, then I have to lengthen the pull and then I can't reach the grip comfortably.

Id guess if you have shorter arms and stature than average, you may need a shorter length of pull, which'll put your face a bit closer to the receiver, hence the scope needs to be a bit further forward?/ You shoot plenty of stuff for years apparently, so I'd be thinking you know what a proper sigth picture thru a scope is - ie, if it works for you, run with it!

Originally Posted By: AWSI'm trying to figure out what moving the scope back will do. If I move it back, then I have to lengthen the pull and then I can't reach the grip comfortably.

moving the scope back without a proper LOP isnt going to help anything.

thats why i use and recommended the optic setup process i do...

1)adjust stock for LOP
2)establish cheek weld
then and only then go on to step 3
3)adjust the optic so it falls within proper eye relief once those first two steps are right.

without 1 and 2 done properly, 3 is irrelevant and will only mess you up because you're trying to force yourself out of a comfortable/natural posture to make the optic work.

i'm glad to hear that the possibility of a different handguard will likely help fix most of your comfort issues. definatly worth a try on the practical upper once you get a little more comfortable with this 223 upper you're playing with! the good thing is by using the same lower, your body mechanics for that portion wont change when you switch back to your 20prac upper, especailly if you follow those same basic setup rules. i have.... 7 different uppers that share my primary lower. so that trigger control is super consistent no matter what caliber i'm throwing brass from
smile.gif

swapping a handguard is usually fairly simple and requires minimimal tools, and often nothing more than is in a typical homeowner toolbox. but that will all depend on the barrel nut system your existing and new handguard utilize.

even if you need a few extra things (vise block, ar wrench, and torque wrench) those 3 peices are relatively affordable ($75-85 ish) and easy to come by.

fair warning... black gun disease is a real thing :p

I'm liking it now the way it is set up. The 20P barrel will more than likely be regulated to Varmints and paper as I could never match the camo on the Handguard it I changed it out.

I have to paint a room tomorrow but will try and get out in the afternoon and re-sight it in. Maybe I can get a stand in after sight in.

I don't think AR's will ever become a disease for me. I've tried semi autos in deer rifles and shotguns and was never enamored with them either. At least this one is serviceable now.

RsoqoI.jpg

Thanks for all the info

AWS

Last edited:
Back