62gr Hornady SP's

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Any insight on how these would work in a 223 16" 1-8 twist. I save fur?

These would be for under 200 yards, many in the 20-50 yard range.

Thanks

Not sure on the 62's, but 55sp absolutely destroyed a large doe I shot abt 50yds.

I had success with 55 Vmax close range on red fox, prob 15yds. Couldnt find an entrance hole and no exit. No blood either, was really weird but was very impressed.

I think you're going to get a lot of fur damage from this bullet. SP's usually don't expand as quickly, so an exiting bullet is a very real possibility.

These are going to be mainly inexpensive learning ammo. I was looking for something that would work in a 1-8 barrel keeping fur with it was secondary or lower. I've tried the Sierra 55gr SP that folks tout as fur friendly bullet with marginal sized exits, I tried them and got large grapefruit sized exits so I'm not really enamored with SP's for fur. But was looking for a little info on how they were on fur.

Again I'm not real AR savvy and was looking for something that was close to the ammo the AR was designed around. I still have a few bandoliers of military 55gr Vietnam era ammo laying around to shoot up also.

I was digging through my old stuff and came up with 200 pc of NP 223 that I'll try loading some 52gr Speer HP's and see how they go and if they will operate the AR. If so then I have a fur friendly bullet for it. Again little experience loading for an AR other than the 20 Practical and it seemed to be not very picky about what it shot, 34's and 39's worked fine.

I have 500 of the 62's on the way.

Last edited:
I am using the 52 gr Hornady HP in my AR for coyotes. Most times I do not get an exit hole. I am sure the Speer will work also.

I've been using the Speer for decades in my 222 Rem, 5.6x50R and 22-250 bolts and combos. I just never tried them in a 1-8 twist.

Back