The rookie 100

Gregory Bell

Well, I/we finally hit that century mark last night. I got back into thermal hunting last year because hogs were becoming a problem on our farm. So after hunting pigs hard and killing 35 in September and October, i was running out of targets. On October 28, I was riding around on my golf cart at night, looking for pigs, and saw 3 yearling coyotes walking across a field. So, I took out the gun and killed all 3. Thus began my new obsession with predator hunting. Although I am proud of what me and my hunting partner have done by hitting 100 in 3 months, I also want to point out the biggest factors that allowed us to reach this small personal goal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4yoai13evykgo6/20200124_212642.jpg?dl=0

1. This is the first year Arkansas has allowed night hunting of any kind for coyotes or predators. Obviously, there were no nighttime educated yotes when we got started. I would say this is the biggest advantage we had.
2. Neither me nor my hunting partner have real jobs, so we can hunt 4 to 5 nights a week. Both of us farm, so this is our slow time of year, and we can really take advantage of the flexible hours.
3. Both of us farm here locally, so we have access to huge amounts of land to hunt because of our relationships with other farmers and landowners.
4. Our wives somehow tolerate our obsessions?????

Some stats we came up off the top of our head.
1. We average walking a half mile in and a half mile out on each stand.
2. Our most successful stands were always 1 hour after sunset.
3. We normally made 2 to 3 stands, 3 to 4 nights a week.
4. We averaged around a 40 to 45% success rate overall. We think that for 100 coyotes, we made around 250 stands total. ( i was too lazy to keep a journal, so that is my estimate.)
5. We have probably missed or let get away just as many as what we have killed.
6. We ran some kind of prey distress on every stand, and less than 15% of ours were killed using prey distress. Prey distress may have got them interested, but that is just how many were killed during prey distress call.
7. We averaged 30 minutes on stand. Early on, when the killing was easy, we were at 15-20 minutes. Here in January, when things have been tougher, we are sitting 45 minutes if we believe it is a productive area.
8. Approximately 60% of our dogs have been males. The other 40% females. Not sure why, just is

Things that have increased our success:
1. Having a night capable range finder, with as flat as our ground is, has made a huge positive impact for us
2. Suppressors. We both run 100% suppressed, I have seen this work to our favor on numerous times.
3. Handloaded ammo. I load for me and my buddy, so we can run premium bullets, close to max fps, and maximum accuracy. Just like when shooting prs, the more accurate the ammo, the more margin of error you have at distance. Example, both of our rifles will group around .3 to .4 at 100. That extra accuracy sure helps your confidence at 200 and 250. Because shooting with a digital thermal display wasn't exactly designed for extreme accuracy.
4. Running 2 differnt e-calls. I run the LD revolt, my buddy the foxpro fusion. This allows us to mix and match and also to not repeat sounds they may have already heard.

What we have learned: Man, where to begin....
1. Coyotes can and will show up from any direction. In fact, they seem to delight in coming from the exact direction you are sure they will not come from. A handheld thermal scanner is a HUGE help in watching your downwind at night.
2. Estimating distance with a thermal is very, very difficult. For me, it is less difficult and more impossible it seems.
3. You have to study coyote behavior and learn as much as possible. There are sometimes you need to take the 200 yard broadside shot on a yote. But there are sometimes you need to wait and pull them in closer, because his buddy will show up if you give him just a few more minutes. There is no one size fits all.
4. If you have a single show up, and you can put 2 shots on it to make SURE he will go down, put two on it......
5. A good thermal is nice to have, but doesnt make as much difference as stand selection and approach. We both started with pulsar trails and moved to n-vision halo and halo-lr, but this didnt increase our harvest ratio one bit
6. Learn how to hand call coyotes. I say this to myself as much as anybody!
7. We have killed 40 to 50% of our yotes on fight sounds, which we play at the end of our stand.
8. IF you have time, scouting makes a huge difference on stand selection. You cant call what isnt there, but finding tracks and scat has allowed me to setup inline with where they wanted to go, and pluck them off without any calling.
9. For us, we went thru a couple of pretty bad dry spells, and had to figure out why. What we found out is that even [beeep] we were giving it at least a mile between stands, when we moved out to 2 miles, we were having better luck. Im not saying we or anyone else cant call the same stand or within a mile of a previous stand, I'm just saying for a rookie, the more distance between equaled more success.
10. Sometimes, you just need to give it one more minute. I dont know how many stands I was fixing to cut the call off becuase it had been 30 plus minutes, and I scan one more time and theres multiples a long way off coming in.

Im sure there are alot more things I learned, but those are at the top of my my sleep deprived mind. And a huge thank you to all of the posters on this forum. I have definitely learned so much from the info here.

[video:youtube][/video]

https://www.facebook.com/pg/prairiecountycp/

Last edited:
Always good to analyze what went right, what went wrong and just things in general. It’s the only way to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Well done.

Thank you for the feedback guys. And just so I'm clear, I dont think anything I've learned applies across every stand or every area. It's just the things I've noticed in our area with how we hunt. To be honest, I welcome any disagreement with any of my conclusions, because I can be wrong and I'm always trying to learn more.

Excellent write up ! Congrats on your success ! Just shows when you put the time & effort in, use newer equipment, improve your skill level, you will be rewarded for it with continued success !

Happy hunting !

Did you notice any difference in calling at night when the moon was bright. Did the coyotes act more cautious during the full moon period? Do they respond better on darker nights?

In general, we struggled a bit more around full moons. We kept hunting, but we generally saw a little less success. Like maybe 10 to 15% less. But, big butt, part of that is probably because we were more visible getting to stands, and we had to compromise the best location for a stand so we could stay in the shadows of something. And that something might be trees, farm equipment, or whatever else we could find to obscure ourselves. Mostly, when it is cloudy or half moon or less, we prefer to stand out in the open so we can see dogs rolling up from every direction.

Sounds like you had a really cool season with a lot of lessons learned!

You mentioned less than 15% came into distress sounds and 40-50% on fight sounds. Are you using sounds like "coyote and fox fighting", "coyotes fighting", or injured coyote sounds like pup distress, coyote death cry, Kiyi, etc?

Also, on the fight sounds do you let them play for a couple minutes and then off for a few, etc, or what's your style?

We are probably 75-80% successful on distress sounds and a mix of 15-20% off coyote distress and vocals. We're always interested in other ways to mix it up, so look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks for any help.

Here was the epiphany. We were closing every stand with pup distress sounds and having some luck here and there. One night, we had 4 dogs hung up a half mile away howling at us and we could see them. I threw the book at them. Nothing. As a last ditch I hit kryptonite on the lucky duck, which is just a straight coyote fight sound, and they dropped and ran as fast as possible to us. So that was a big light bulb. From then on, we just replaced pup distress with a closing 2 or 3 fight sounds. Keep in mind we r complete rookies, so it never crossed our mind to play a minute or 2 fight then shut off. We just played 2 to 3, 2 minute coyote fight sounds and that was it. Most of the time, had dogs coming within 1 minute of the first fight sound. We started using them at the end of november, but but towards the end of December, we started having to play them longer, and off and on. Also, our pretty much go to, ace in the hole was [beeep]'s "den vicious." It only plays on foxpro fyi. I dont knowing it was because [beeep] is an Arkansas based company and we r in Arkansas or what, but it was the next best thing to magic for 2 or 3 weeks.
So, at the end of december, we were on a new property, a block of 4500 acres to ourselves. Retarded big. We setup on it, but bordering another 400 acre pasture with round bales left in it. I'm a sucker for shooting dogs off bales.... anyway. Great looking spot. We called, and called, and called, and nothing. We played fight sounds for off and on 15 minutes, after all of our regular lone howls and prey distress, and nothing coming. Then we sat quiet for 15 minutes scanning, never saw a thing. We were within 10 seconds of admitting defeat, and I hit kryptonite one more time, and I be danged if 6 dogs didnt respond within 10 seconds headed straight for us. Soooo, that seemed to say that later in year, we may have to sit a little longer.

I hate to be long winded, but it was cool to see. We made a stand on uncalled ground last Thursday. Setup, called and called and called and fought sounds galore. Nothing. 40 minutes and we finally left. We walked for 15 minutes or so to get out of the pasture, and all of a sudden, some freaky close howls lit up. We scanned back to the exact hillside, and 2 dogs, at least 15 minutes after we left and 20 plus minutes since we quit calling, rolled 20 yards upwind of where we had just called.

I'm not saying it's a rule, but we have started making 2 stands at 40 minutes a night instead of 3 at 25 minutes, at least until it seems like things change again. Your mileage may vary....

Last edited:
Back