VARGET NEVER FAILS!!

bighowler

Hey all. Long time browser on here. Been working on a load for my 700 223 with bench mark for a while trying to achieve good speeds. While I did achieve very good speeds and decent groups I could not believe the extreme spreads I was getting. 50+ ES.

Today I tried varget.. big varget fan in my 22-250 by the way. So I decided to try it with the 40gr noslers I have been loading. 3388fps with an ES of 11. 4 shot group at .198” I could not believe it. Don’t know why I waited so long to try one of my favorite powders!

I've had extremely good luck with Varget in my 22-250 as well. Seems to be a hard to find powder in my area. All my small varmint caliber powders are a little scarce for me lately. Can't seem to find 8208, Varget, and even Benchmark is a little spotty.

Originally Posted By: ZPretty slow for a 22-250

I’m getting 3730 5 shot average in my 250 with 55’s with varget. My 223 is 3388 5 shot Average with varget. May have worded my post a little weird.

Originally Posted By: TaterTotI've had extremely good luck with Varget in my 22-250 as well. Seems to be a hard to find powder in my area. All my small varmint caliber powders are a little scarce for me lately. Can't seem to find 8208, Varget, and even Benchmark is a little spotty.

This post was about my 223. I just mentioned how I’m a fan of the varget in my 250 as well. I may not get the super speeds with it in my 223 but I’m lookin for Accuracy over speed. And varget gave me the best of both worlds. I can only seem to find kegs of varget around me. The 1lb’ers seem to disappear quick

I'm with bighowler. That P Dog, Coyote don't know if he gets hit at 3300 fps or 3700 fps. I'm from the old school give me accuracy and barrel life. Varget is one of my go to powders

Last edited:
Any of you gentlemen want to share your load info with varget in your 22-250. I am shooting 52 grain BTHP and older powders that beat it. I would like to be able to use it.

I'm running 36.7 gr load with a Bart's 52 gr ultra(22-250). I'm not at the top end for my barrel/Varget lot. My hunting loads have came out of the same 8# container for the last 10 years. Work up with chronograph and pressure signs to top and stay below that for safety, ALWAYS start over with new/different powder.

Last edited:
37.5 with a 50grn Vmax

35.5 and 36.0 with a 55grn Vmax

38.0 with a 40grn and 35grn Nosler ballistic tip lead free

All at 2.350 and all shoot great 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The lead free loads are the worst of the bunch at 3/4 inch but I am sick and tired of trial and error with lead free crap here in CA, that is the load I am sticking with. I have wasted enough money buying Barnes TSX, powder and what not.

Last edited:
Just tried the same 36.7 load with 55 Nosler bt, shot very well. It is in the 20's here no pressure signs, velocity was almost identical to factory Nosler 55 bt.

Originally Posted By: igor36.9 of varget is a great load for me with 52gr. pills. Run around 3600fps. in a 26 inch barrel

That seems slow for a 52 and almost 37gr of varget. I’m getting 3730 average with a 55gr and 35gr of powder. Could be the difference in powder lot and gun [beeep]

It seems to be trickling back. Brownells just sent me an email saying they have 1lb baby bottles in stock.

Reloader 15 is an excellent substitute for Varget in my AR-15's for shooting heavy bullets.

As a matter of fact, Varget is the substitute. RL 15 seems to always be available

Tikka 22-250, 1-14 twist.
35.5 gr Varget, 52 gr Sierra BT HP(#1410), CCI primer, COL 2.435”, just off the lands. May not be as fast as possible but it’s crazy accurate...one ragged hole.

Back