Is the 204 becoming obsolete?

I had a CZ 527 right when they came out. Great gun and cartridge. Shot the 33gr moly coated HSM Calhoun double hollow point factory load into 1 ragged hole. I traded that gun off some time ago. My dad has a few 204's yet. One being a really slick Dtech.

I doubt the 204 will ever go away. Right now its just not the new kid on the block and its just kinda on the back shelf. I think it will always be around though. It still has a following, just not as big as it use to be.

I worked firearms retail before getting jumping into the welding trade (gotta pay for my gun addiction). My experience working in a mom and pop gun shop where you kept a call list of customers wants and needs we sold most of our 204s in the going into or coming out of winter for rock chucks and coyotes and not many at that 10 a year was high. Sold maybe 20-30 22-250s a year this is new not counting used firearms. Seemed that ar15s and heavy barreled bolt guns in 223 were the trend fueled by politics. 243s were the big game hunters varmint gun of choice. Ranch hands and retirees wanted the 204 and 22-250 the former used the 22-250 as a deer rifle/truckgun/ predator control. I don’t ever seem to recall selling a 204 too someone that needed a rifle, the buyers were those with fun money; the same crowd that follows the trend in the market that are now gobbling up the 6.5 wonder cartridge.

In my area it never really stuck as a fur cartridge outdone in the wind by the 22-250 the 220 and 243. Not as cheap as the 223 or 17hmr. The pelt hunters and trappers always had a hard time getting consistent fur friendly factory leadings at the brick and mortar stores. I don’t think the 1-12 twist really hurt it as much as bullet construction. They first run of average joes that don’t reload and don’t shoot all that often wanted a laser beam that blew up prairie dogs and rock chucks but didn’t leave a 3-4 inch entrance on coyotes all with the same box of ammo from sally world for $12.99
Marketing can quickly be undone by reality hence the 223 Wssm, we’re just seeing the 204 after the honeymoon and 16 years of marriage.

Don’t get me wrong I really like the 204 I’ve got two 1-12 factory guns and I’m piecing together a 17-204. Reloaders and people that want one of everything will keep it around. The market is all about efficient long reaching medium action cartridges. Sooner or later it’ll pivot to mouse guns, back to big magnums etc. it’s how the gun companies stay in business.

I’ve had a Ruger VT, Ruger #1 laminate stainless, Tikka laminate stainless and am now on my second 17-204 barrel so I hope not. As a straight .204 Ruger I’ve never given it a true fair chance to earn its stay more so because the specific model rifles I had. I liked the Ruger VT the most. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a used Cz american or Howa mini in .204. I’d like to give the 32gr offerings a go for a couple seasons.

I know mine won’t be going anywhere , I absolutely love it for coyotes. I was in the market for a bolt .223 when the .204 Came out and my wife surprised me for Christmas with a Browning Abolt Hunter 204. It took some time and a few different bullets to find what it really likes, and coyotes hate! But 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings and some 8208 are fantastic!

Now I’m thinking I want another just because I’ve noticed lately there not being chambered in it except by only a few manufacturers. I’m thinking a Tikka, CZ or if I’m lucky a used Abolt are in my future.

It better not become obsolete!!!

I have designs on picking up a Savage in .204 before the year is over. It'll give me a middle step between my .17 Rems and my .223/.22-250.

I recently picked up another one, Kimber Varmint. Shoots much better than I imagined it would, but then the Kimber Montana I've been using is unbelievably accurate and not very picky on loads.
Originally I was going to shoot the Varmint a little then rebarrel it to a 17-204, but now I'm thinking I need to find another donor. LOL

Although I see a few models of .204s being dropped, e.g.: Tikka Varmint and maybe Savage/Cabela’s FV, I don’t see any chance of the .204 Ruger becoming “obsolete”. I have three .204s, and if I wasn’t running out of “time “ (pushing 70 years), and wanted to piss away some more retirement dollars, I’d have at least a couple more (just saw a heavy-barreled Mossberg that takes AR mags, and almost bid on a Rem. XR-100 last week). Another deterrent would be the too-slow 1:12” twist rate all manufactures except maybe TC insist on continuing.
Also: Who makes a .204-chambered pistol??

Originally Posted By: steve garrettHow about a 20 nosier?

Nah! Not for me anyway. The .204 is plenty noisy enough as it is.

tt2.gif

The 20 Nosler is an interesting newer cartridge if you just need something different. I'm sure that it performs will perform very well in AR configurations and in good bolt action rifles that are set up properly.

Last edited:
Has Nosler ever actually released their 20 Nosler, which has a little different case dimensions from their 22 Nosler, or are you referring to the wildcat version of necking down 22 Nosler to make a 20-22 Nosler?

Nosler has been teasing us for a few years now with their official 20 Nosler but I've yet to actually see or hear of them releasing or making one or brass for it. It's weird because they have load data a 20 Nosler but no brass has ever been released to the public that I'm aware of. Hopefully I'm wrong about that because this could be a cool little 20 cal hot rod for all those small bolt face actions out there.

Last edited:
I was referring to the Nosler drawing of their 20 Nosler cartridge and not the necked down 22 Nosler. Probably not the best wording in my post above so I changed it up....

BvsujJsl.jpg

I've been out of the predator game too long apparently. I had NO IDEA there were Kimber Montanas made in .204. I knew they did some in .223 but at the time I was looking I couldn't even get ahold of that. If anyone has one they want to sell or knows where one is for sale I want one. This is exactly what I need for the way I hunt coyotes and cats. My Remington 700 CDL I swapped onto a Mountain LSS stock with 6-18x50 Banner weighs 9.2#. A Montana in .204 is exactly what I need for an all day walking rifle.

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: Winny FanWhen the 204 Ruger first came out, the big thing that Ruger and Hornady supposedly wanted was to produce the fastest commercial cartridge which meant convincingly besting the 17 Remington velocity.

The 223 based 20 caliber off-springs that they initially tried did not safely give the necessary velocity, so the 204 Ruger was created from the longer .222 Remington Magnum case which allowed a bit more case volume over the 223 Remington. In addition, Hornady had produced a 33 grain 20 caliber bullet for quite a few years to meet the needs of Tactical 20 shooters and others who shot a few other 20 caliber wildcat cartridges long before the 204 Ruger was "invented". In order to get the needed velocity in a safe manner for the 204 Ruger, the bullet weight was reduced from 33 to 32 grains. (I still have a small stache of the 33 grain Hornady bullets that I had stockpiled for my Tactical 20 that I had built in @2000.)

Those two things, coupled with a standard chamber with a bit of extra free bore ala Roy Weatherby, made the 32 grain Hornady 204 Ruger loading the commercial velocity king.

Now that the world had suddenly "discovered" a new bore diameter with the introduction of the 204 Ruger, it wasn't long before some 223 based 20 caliber wildcats were created, one of which the internet told us was the "brand spanking new" 20 Practical - a simple neck down of the 223 Rem case. In fact, 20 caliber shooters had been loading and shooting the cartridge since the early 1980's. The just called it the 5mm-223. In addition 20 caliber wildcatter had shot a cartridge for years based on the 222 Rem Mag, which for other than a couple of very minor dimensional difference, looked amazing like the "new and totally innovative" 204 Ruger cartridge.

And that is how I remember it.
While searching for an ultra light Predator rifle in a 17 Rem. I found the Kimber Montana in 204 which of course met all of my needs. Winny is right in saying it doesn't take to long researching loading manuals and observing chronograph display readings to notice that other 20 cal. or 24 cal. has to be pushed a lot to match the 204 velocities. The same holds true for the 17 Rem. vs the 17-223. Not a thing wrong with the other 20 and 17 calibers, but it's hard to overcome case volume. Similar to the old saying of cubic inch eventually takes over.
So to end my rambling, I am a big fan of the 204 and hope it stays.

I've been out of the predator game too long apparently. I had NO IDEA there were Kimber Montanas made in .204. I knew they did some in .223 but at the time I was looking I couldn't even get ahold of that. If anyone has one they want to sell or knows where one is for sale I want one. This is exactly what I need for the way I hunt coyotes and cats. My Remington 700 CDL I swapped onto a Mountain LSS stock with 6-18x50 Banner weighs 9.6# loaded with sling on. A Montana in .204 is exactly what I need for an all day walking rifle. What twist barrel is your Montana in .204?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gunsbam45Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: Winny FanWhen the 204 Ruger first came out, the big thing that Ruger and Hornady supposedly wanted was to produce the fastest commercial cartridge which meant convincingly besting the 17 Remington velocity.

The 223 based 20 caliber off-springs that they initially tried did not safely give the necessary velocity, so the 204 Ruger was created from the longer .222 Remington Magnum case which allowed a bit more case volume over the 223 Remington. In addition, Hornady had produced a 33 grain 20 caliber bullet for quite a few years to meet the needs of Tactical 20 shooters and others who shot a few other 20 caliber wildcat cartridges long before the 204 Ruger was "invented". In order to get the needed velocity in a safe manner for the 204 Ruger, the bullet weight was reduced from 33 to 32 grains. (I still have a small stache of the 33 grain Hornady bullets that I had stockpiled for my Tactical 20 that I had built in @2000.)

Those two things, coupled with a standard chamber with a bit of extra free bore ala Roy Weatherby, made the 32 grain Hornady 204 Ruger loading the commercial velocity king.

Now that the world had suddenly "discovered" a new bore diameter with the introduction of the 204 Ruger, it wasn't long before some 223 based 20 caliber wildcats were created, one of which the internet told us was the "brand spanking new" 20 Practical - a simple neck down of the 223 Rem case. In fact, 20 caliber shooters had been loading and shooting the cartridge since the early 1980's. The just called it the 5mm-223. In addition 20 caliber wildcatter had shot a cartridge for years based on the 222 Rem Mag, which for other than a couple of very minor dimensional difference, looked amazing like the "new and totally innovative" 204 Ruger cartridge.

And that is how I remember it.
While searching for an ultra light Predator rifle in a 17 Rem. I found the Kimber Montana in 204 which of course met all of my needs. Winny is right in saying it doesn't take to long researching loading manuals and observing chronograph display readings to notice that other 20 cal. or 24 cal. has to be pushed a lot to match the 204 velocities. The same holds true for the 17 Rem. vs the 17-223. Not a thing wrong with the other 20 and 17 calibers, but it's hard to overcome case volume. Similar to the old saying of cubic inch eventually takes over.
So to end my rambling, I am a big fan of the 204 and hope it stays.

I've been out of the predator game too long apparently. I had NO IDEA there were Kimber Montanas made in .204. I knew they did some in .223 but at the time I was looking I couldn't even get ahold of that. If anyone has one they want to sell or knows where one is for sale I want one. This is exactly what I need for the way I hunt coyotes and cats. My Remington 700 CDL I swapped onto a Mountain LSS stock with 6-18x50 Banner weighs 9.6# loaded with sling on. A Montana in .204 is exactly what I need for an all day walking rifle. What twist barrel is your Montana in .204?

It is a 12Twist as is the Kimber Varmint which weighs less than your Remington. Kimber still makes the Varmint in 204.

You won't like to hear this, but I originally bought 2 Montana's in 204. One I rebarreled to 17 Rem.

I totally get it on the rebarrel. I thought the only option was to find a .223 and rebarrel to .204 so we thinks alike. I've run Hornady 40 VMax factory ammo with good luck, but all I ever did for testing was at sight in time. I tuned the scope in at 35 yards when it was new and started shooting coyotes. I never did put it on paper again at any distance after that. I'm going to get that done the next time we have a calm day here. What does your .204 Montana like bullet wise?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gunsbam45I totally get it on the rebarrel. I thought the only option was to find a .223 and rebarrel to .204 so we thinks alike. I've run Hornady 40 VMax factory ammo with good luck, but all I ever did for testing was at sight in time. I tuned the scope in at 35 yards when it was new and started shooting coyotes. I never did put it on paper again at any distance after that. I'm going to get that done the next time we have a calm day here. What does your .204 Montana like bullet wise?

We do think alike. LOL
The bullets mine likes to shoot is the 34gr.hp Varmint Nightmare (Nosler 34gr.), the 35gr. Berger, the 37gr. CRT (no longer made), and the 37gr. Blackhole bullet. I also have a good load for the Hornady 45gr.sp. I only use hollow points in mine for chasing fur. I don't trust the plastic tip bullets to be fur friendly.

Back