Coyote 54 & 55

Snowshoes

A week ago it was -25*F and this morning it was just a few degrees below the freezing mark. Warmer weather is always welcomed.
In my travels yesterday I noticed some fresh heavily used coyote trails crossing a road and into a long cattail infested drainage. This drainage/draw just happens to be one where I have shot a fair number of coyotes over the years.
I parked the truck in the same location as usual and basically set up in the same spot as usual.
Fifteen minutes watching the area was rewarded with the sight of a coyote working its way through the cattails. I follow the coyotes progress and once it’s in an open spot and stops, I send a 52 gr. bullet from the 223 on its way. This was a scruffy looking coyote and I sure hoped there would be others to follow. The coyote was shot at 92 yards.

Ten minutes later I see a coyote in the field to the northwest which is traveling the wrong direction for my purposes. Some high volume vole squeaks gets the coyotes attention and it obviously sparks some interest. As I lower the volume, the coyote turns around and starts trotting down hill towards the cattails. The coyote is soon absorbed into the cover of the cattails but within a couple minutes its visible again. I move the rifle into position and when I do so, the coyote puts the brakes on. Its staring my direction and I decide to take the shot while its still stationary. A 149 yard shot has scruffy coyote number 2 down for the morning.

I will likely be back there tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, there will be a decent furred coyote in the crosshairs next time around.

Well done! Been dealing with the same temps here and it finally warmed up some. When 20 above feels like shorts weather you know it's been cold! Keep up the good work!

Fur buyer says he is pulling snares. Coyotes are rubbing now. I know they are pairing up. Still fun to knock the wind out of them though. 52 gr. bullet? Speer FBHP ? That is what I've used for 3 years now out my 223.

Rudy

Love to see you guys up North stacking em up. Admire you guys for dealing with the elements (cold) like you do for so long. I hunt in the cold here in NW, but my cold is when the wind chill drops temps to single digits.....

Originally Posted By: P&YWell done! Been dealing with the same temps here and it finally warmed up some. When 20 above feels like shorts weather you know it's been cold! Keep up the good work!
I think I wore roughly half the clothing yesterday compared to a week ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaFur buyer says he is pulling snares. Coyotes are rubbing now. I know they are pairing up. Still fun to knock the wind out of them though. 52 gr. bullet? Speer FBHP ? That is what I've used for 3 years now out my 223.

Rudy
I'm using 52 Berger Varmint Hollow points. They have worked well for me in the 223. I'll likely continue hunting for another 3 or so weeks but time will tell.
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice job. Your really putting em down this year!
Luck has played a big role on a fair number of this years hunts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Runnin'HardLove to see you guys up North stacking em up. Admire you guys for dealing with the elements (cold) like you do for so long. I hunt in the cold here in NW, but my cold is when the wind chill drops temps to single digits.....
If a guy is dressed for the cold, its not too bad, but I still prefer a little warmer weather. My preferred coyote hunting comfort zone is around that 20* F mark
smile.gif

Back