trouble with windage

woodbeeskunked

Trying to dial in windage on my AR .223 with16” Wylde barrel 1-8 twist. The windage dialed in with 1” group at 100 yards. When I go to 200 yards I'm 12" to the left. The ammo being used are reloads (50 grain VMAX bullets using 1.750 grams (27 grains) of H4895 powder. This AR is a build. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just loaded 5 rounds of 45 and 55 grain. The 45 grain was grouping 1 inch to the right of the 50 grain group. The 55 grain was 2 inches to the left & 1 inch low of the 50 grain group. The 45 grain group opened up to a 2” group and the the 55 grain group was 1”. All at 100 yards. Nothing hits the paper at 200 yards although there is no grouping at that distance either. I think I am giving up on this barrel... any advice on barrels for coyotes reaching up 500 yards.

I would call Ritch Johnson and talk to him. Since you reload you have some better options for chamberings. I would look into a 243lbc or a 6x6.8 you could shoot some 55-60g bullets 3400-3500fps, and some heavier options like 85-90 at like 2900-3000 FPS. 6mm options has a lot bullet to choose from.

I would try a heavier bullet in the 8 twist. I feel very lucky my 8 twist Lilja shoots the 53gr Vmax over Varget accurately.

Just my humble opinion

Are you trying different powder weights to find an accurate round? Plus try a 60gr plus weight bullet with that 8 twist

Try some factory loads. Your hand load spread is a bit concerning. So I would eliminate that as a possible variable. I'm not sure about "giving up" on the barrel just yet. VERY few people shoot enough to "shoot out" a barrel.

I would clean it, foul it, then try 3 shot groups with factory loads, and see what the results are.

Depending on results, I might check the barrel torque, the scope mounting and torque, the scope, finally the barrel.

I don't have experience with reloading (yet), but SnowmanMo's advice sounds good. Eliminate the variables, starting with shooting quality factory loads. I'd also take the scope off the gun and make sure the crosshairs are centered in the scope and remount it (look up "how to center a scope"). I've heard that can fix issues such as "left at close range, right at long range".

When I had a situation like the one you are in, I traded scopes.

Then I found out that the scope rings were not tourqued in proper sequence according to mfr directions, my bad.

Now with a cheaper scope needlessly aquired but properly installed, accuracy is consistent and repeatable.

So to repeat, It was not gun, loads, scope or mounts, but improper touqueing sequence of the rings.

All the best.

Back