Help! Wanting to shoot Prarie Dogs

KY_Lady

wanting to travel from KY out west for about a week, and do some PD shooting. I would rather compensate a rancher that has varmit issues and do some private shooting verses paying $$$ to a guide. I am looking for somewhere around Wyoming, Kansas, Montana, or Nebraska. I however, am open to other more populated areas/ states. Any help would be greatly appreciated...seems all my research is taking me in circles 🔃
Sincerely, 
Angela

Wyoming is probably the Saudi Arabia of Pdogs.
AND a lot of public land you can shoot without paying anybody.
Montana too but you have to LOOK for them. You can see Pdog towns with google earth. Find big chunks of public lands then zoom in and look.

If you don't mind working on your long range shooting. WY. They have a tendency to duck and cover after the first few rounds. Suppressors help. 200 and farther is going to be the norm on public land here. It's great practice.

We used a guide in Wyoming last year. Reasonably priced and great access. We shot all day from a single set up spot. Two days same experience. Range from 50 to 300 yds. Benches provided, BBQ in the field at lunchtime. We wasted no time and had a productive trip. 5 guys about 4000 rounds from 22lr to .243. I could not reproduce that trip on any public land. Also would not be as productive in my opinion. If you are interested I can provide contact information..

The OP has had her question addressed else where.
All of the responses were given in an honest civil manner.

SW North Dakota is pretty decent. My suggestion is to contact the local game warden/conservation officer/wildlife manager in the area you are thinking of hunting in. If none listed, then contact the State Wildlife/Game & Fish Department for advise and obtain the name and number of the local person for that area.

I've done that on occasion and the officer has put me in touch with local people who seemed glad to allow me to shoot on their land. I sent them a Figi's package that Christmas to show my appreciation - Figi's went out of business last year.

Mid June in the Dakota’s. I think most ranches that truly want to get rid of them poison. Those with a more casual control program would allow shooting.

Some ‘Chambers of Commerce’ offices have contact info, of course they give it to everybody else too.

Pursue leads, then follow up on extended leads developed.

I've done some exhaustive research and found that you'll probably waste mountains of time trying to find free or cheap prairie dogs to shoot and as soon as you start shooting you run the risk of others moving in on you. Also out in prairie dog country it's very confusing even for locals to know where you can shoot and where you're trespassing and it can ruin your day when you're confronted by an angry rancher or a game warden.

I found that guides usually offer lodging, meals and a one on one guide for about $400 per day and it's well worth it. You can find cheaper but you'll shoot dogs until your either torch your barrels or run out of ammo with a guide and drive around a lot trying to get a "good deal".

I wish you luck but in the end I bet you end up wishing you'd just hired a guide so you can arrive unload and shoot until you're tired of it then load up and go home.

OH... Bring lots of ammo.... Also be sure to tell the guides at what ranges you want to shoot your dogs. I'm not interested in less than 300 yards or more than 800 and guides like that so they don't have to keep moving you around and the dogs aren't nearly as spooky way out there.

Back