Homemade auxiliary speaker

Oregononeshot

I've been looking at getting an auxiliary foxpro speaker for my hammerjack. Well me being the cheapskate I am, had an opportunity and decided to give it a try. I took an outside speaker from one of our old work trucks and wired it to a 3.5 mm connector. Plugged it in and success! Im guessing it almost doubles the loudness! It only cost me $5 for a cable. I put a handle on it, and used my kids old training wheel brackets to make a stand to get a little height over vegetation. You guys ever make your own speaker?

imghost

Yes I did about 50 years ago when I got my 1st e-caller, a portable record player. Try as I might I never killed any thing with it. I got a speaker from a junk car radio and made a wooden box for it. Best I remember the record would play for about two minutes then I would have to reset and play it again. Lots of movement back then when I was 14 with ants in my pants and the patience of a knat.

Good work, I hope the sound is good. I've come to believe sound frequency is important.

20 years ago I made a cassette caller to call crows with, it worked great but was heavy. It had a factory car stereo, 2 speakers, powered by a 12v cordless drill battery. I didn't really hunt coyotes then, but we did try once and it worked, although I ended up getting up too soon and blew the stand for my buddy.

I recently wired up a speaker similar to yours. I bought a 25 watt pyle PHSP6K from Amazon for $20. So not quite as homemade as yours, but I had to solder a 3.5 mm audio plug and give it some paint. It was perfect to get more volume out of my Primos Turbo Dogg.

I've come to think getting in closer, using quieter sounds and mouth calls, and moving around more works better (as long as I can do so stealthily). I primarily use the e-caller and extra speaker when it's windy or the terrain/snow prevents me from getting back where the yotes might be and I need the sound to reach out.

My first e-caller was a cassette player-recorder than ran on "C" batteries and I plugged a old speaker off of a work truck into it.

I erased about 60 seconds off of the front of the tape and another 10 seconds off of the tape at 12 minutes and thought that was pretty high tech. That gave me a minute to get ready and let me know when I had been calling for 12 minutes.

Originally Posted By: GrigsbyI recently wired up a speaker similar to yours. I bought a 25 watt pyle PHSP6K from Amazon for $20. So not quite as homemade as yours, but I had to solder a 3.5 mm audio plug and give it some paint. It was perfect to get more volume out of my Primos Turbo Dogg.

I've come to think getting in closer, using quieter sounds and mouth calls, and moving around more works better (as long as I can do so stealthily). I primarily use the e-caller and extra speaker when it's windy or the terrain/snow prevents me from getting back where the yotes might be and I need the sound to reach out.
Grigsby, how do you like that speaker? I looked on amazon for a speaker exactly like the one you got. I was going to get one of those before I found this old speaker. I see the one you got also comes in a 50 watt version. I don't know if my speaker is 8 ohms like foxpro recommends, so I might buy one like yours just to try it also.

OK then, looks perfict.
What do you think it would take to get a speaker that can play Ultrahigh frequencies? Like 40,000 and can the fox pros play mp3 files of that high?

I like the Pyle 25 watt speaker a lot. It definitely makes a difference in volume. The reason I went with the 25 watt version is the Primos Turbo Dogg manual said to use a speaker capable of handling 25 watts or greater, but I read somewhere that the greater the speaker wattage the quieter the sound will be due to having to push 50 watts (or something like that - not sure if that's how it works), so I played it safe and got the 25 watt option. I should say my understanding of electronics is NOT good, so I'm just glad it worked out. I also think the 50 watt speaker was larger in size, and I did not want that.

I hope that helps.

Edited to say that I actually have not tried it in high winds or at max volume (contrary to saying I already had in my original post, but that's my intended use). I took it out a couple times as test runs but it was pretty calm and thought coyotes would be closer in those spots.

Last edited:
Some us older guys remember callers made with Radio Shack components including outdoor horn speakers, cassette and CD players.

Originally Posted By: AWSSome us older guys remember callers made with Radio Shack components including outdoor horn speakers, cassette and CD players.

+1

Originally Posted By: jetmanOK then, looks perfict.
What do you think it would take to get a speaker that can play Ultrahigh frequencies? Like 40,000 and can the fox pros play mp3 files of that high?
Jetman, I am very new to calling, so don't take to heart what i say. I don't know if a speaker has to be of a certain type or quality to play the high frequency sounds. I read an article recently about a call maker who is releasing a call soon that plays high frequency sounds, so I'm guessing this speaker can't play them. I also read that the highest frequency a regular call (foxpro for example) can get to is 20,000. So to answer your question to the best of my knowledge is no, the foxpros can't get that high.

Originally Posted By: AWSSome us older guys remember callers made with Radio Shack components including outdoor horn speakers, cassette and CD players.

X2 and portable record players

Back