Question on setting up my tripod for NV set up

NDAR15MAN

I have a D760 on a Bushmaster 223 16 inch barrel and a hand held FLIR 64.
I used it 10 times in 8 years. It’s a shame. Health issues. But I am going to retire in couple years and want to up grade my tripod while I will have the money. Now i use a MOG-POD I think it’s called with a yoke. Want to go with a ball head set up like the BH-55.
I will have to replace my floating hand guard because it is a old style slick floating hand guard. Question.... should I use the new new Mod- Key style for attachment of tripod gear like a BH-55 or picanney attachment style and should it go full length of hand guard ? Thanks. MD

Last edited:
While I do believe that a direct mount is more stable, you could go with either a Hog Saddle or a reaper Grip. With the clamp style you won't have to change your forearm.

Kopfjager offers a pretty decent tripod/grip combo for about $400.00. It is basically a Slik 700 tripod with your choice of the pan/tilt Reaper Grip clamp style (I have this set up) or the pan/tilt/cant picatinny direct mount. I've not used this new direct mount design but it looks pretty slick. You won't need a ball head with either of the two above.
https://www.kopfjagerindustries.com/online-store/K700-AMT-Tripod-with-Reaper-Rail-p151353643

I have another tripod with a ball head that I direct mount to a picattinny rail on the bottom of my rifle. My rail runs full length but depending on where your balance point is you really only need a 5 section rail. Unless you're using a suppressor the balance point will be almost as far back on the hand guard as you can get it.

That is my 300 BO SBR. Silk tripod with a CRETAC clamp.
The metal ball head and metal clap. Specwar 7,62 can.
ATN N/V 4K scope 5X20.

2MEMq0l.jpg

I've got the Night Stalker on backorder as we speak, but if you want to build your own set up, I would suggest looking at the Leofoto LH series ball head, either the 40 or 55, as I think you might find they are as good as what Really Right Stuff is selling and the price will be 50% or more less costly. There's several good tripods on the market and the Leofoto ball head would fit perfectly on most.

I went with an 8" Area 419 Acra universal rail for my 16" AR in 223 but again, there's several Acra mounts out there ranging from rails to simple blocks from several manufacturers.

We are more than glad in helping you spend money.
smile.gif

Back