Opinions on a 788 build

Originally Posted By: G Anderson
At the end of the day it still will be a 788 and nothing more. I know there is a cult like following, but life is too short to "just say" you have an original 223 788...around here, they might get $300...nothing that you can pad your retirement on for sure.

If only I could find a 788 in 6mm Rem for $300!! It would get
another barrel with a tighter twist though.

A buddy gunsmith in Steelville MO offered me to build me a Prairie Dog gun on a 788 in .222 with a roached barrel. He built it in .20 Practical with a Shilen Barrel with a Boyds thumbhole stock. I used all of my gunsmith skills to replace the trigger with a Timney. Probably the easiest thing I ever did. Shoots like a dream. Between 1/4 to 1/2 all the time. Not sorry I had it built at all.

I have owned a 6mm since 1976 that I bought brand new for $89 with a 4x scope on it. It now wears a custom walnut stock and on it's fourth barrel. Two factory barrels and two ER Shaw barrels. I have forgot how many sub 1/2" five shot groups I have shot with it. I have never regretted putting the money into it, it easily out shoots my Rem 243 CDL. It will never leave my possession till I pass away, then it will go to my son and his son.

uSQyLmn.jpg

I also had a custom walnut stock for my 581 done at the same time.

GVdcZiq.jpg

Last edited:
I know where there WAS a 6mm. Not sure if its still there but IIRC he was kinda proud of it. Maybe I should see of its still there.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWe need the "Like" function on here. George Foster's rifles are very nice!!

Yes they are beautiful indeed. *Like*

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterOriginally Posted By: pyscodogWe need the "Like" function on here. George Foster's rifles are very nice!!

Yes they are beautiful indeed. *Like*

Sure not helping my wants. Got me thinking about going 788 shopping. LOL

Well, I found the 788 in 6MM and he is pretty proud of it. Metal was nice but not perfect, stock was not terrible but did have a small chip out of the grip. The front and rear sights were missing which seems pretty normal from my dealings with the 788's. It had a Simmons scope which would be trashed if I owned it so I gave it a 7.5-8 out of 10. (This is without looking at the bore. I didn't do that but would if I bought it.) Now the proud part, $625 out the door. Its seems $550-$580 is about the going price on the internet and it also seems the 6MM's draw a little more money than some of the rest. Is that to much or about the going rate for this rifle? I'm not sure I want to invest that much in a 788 Remington considering the stock needs repaired or replaced, missing sights and age of the rifle.

Its in a Pawn Shop thats owned by a fellow gun club member. But like a lot of people, he thinks its old and not real easy to find, it must be worth a lot more money. They're out there, you just have to look for them.

I paid/traded $600 for my 22-250. Way more than it's probably worth but in the end i got rid of something i didn't want and got something i did.

I look at things this way always, if I want something and feel ok with the price I buy it. I would much rather buy a 788 for that price rather than some other rifles.

I remember Ram-line synthetic stocks was about the only

affordable choice back in the day.

Oh, opinions on the 788 build. Life is to short not to do

what you like. You will have a custom, good shooting 788.

Bought my Remington 788 (.308 Win) back in 1982 for $142.50 Shot upmteen deer with it over the years, and everything dropped pretty much where it stood. Can't say what the accuracy was like at long range since I never shot further than 200 yds, even out west. Still have it, but did change out the stock(still have the original) I never realized they were that popular. Just a tool that went bang everytime and did what it was advertised for.

Love the 'ol 788's. Have a few of them. My .223 is one of my favorite rifles and has taken a lot of critters and shot some tiny groups.

Keep her as is and work over the Savage.

Last edited:
Back