Which gun?

Ok guys i know someone here will be able to help out here. We have a lot of state ground here open to yotin but can only use rimfire calibers. I have a .22 mag and a .17 hmr i am completely unsure if either will get er done on yotes...was also wondering about the .17 wsm thanks so much for any also guidance....was wondering if a chest shot would as quick with these as a .223

Last edited:

Bill, I don’t use a .22 mag much, but have managed one shot at a coyote at about 60-75 yards. It was a head shot that dropped it right there. I also took a small bobcat with the .22 mag as it was facing me quartering. The bullet entered the neck area and exited the opposite side causing it to hit the dirt. Both loads were Winchester 40 gr. HP’s.

On coyotes, I personally would prefer head shots if possible. I know some guys on the forums have taken several coyotes with the .22 mag. That would be my caliber of choice if I had to use rimfires, but also my CZ .17 HMR is so accurate with 20 gr. CCI Game Points that I would feel confident with head shots with that too. It has taken many groundhogs, which can be some tough critters too.

I have shot several coyotes with .22 mag with mixed results. Head and neck shots were DRT as would be expected but chest shots produced mostly runners. Some found and sadly some not. As to whether .22 mag will kill them with chest shots like .223, sorry but no it won't. If you shoot them thru both lungs they will die for sure, the question is will you be able to find them when they expire. We have tons of thick cutovers here and it seems they head for the nearest thickest cover. My advice is head or neck shots if you want to lay hands on them. Lungs if you just want them to stop what they have been doing. Here's a 90 yd'er with my Henry .22 mag.

I99WacF.jpg

Bill, I think the 17SWM would definitely give you a bit more punch if you can find a rifle that satisfies you. Not too many brands that are chambered for it I don't think.

A quick search looks like you would be limited to the Savage B-mag, a better made Ruger 77, or a Franklin Armory in Semi-auto which looks like an AR-15 and runs around $1,500-1,800.

Last edited:
It pushes a 20 gr. bullet at 3,000 which is quite a bit more punch that the 17 hmr, but it is still only a 20 gr. bullet, so I don't think it would allow you much if anymore flexibility Bill. I have a CZ in 17 Rem. that I killed quite a few coyotes with pushing a 25 gr. hp at about 3,900 fps, but again that is 20% more bullet weight at almost a 1,000 fps faster. Just behind the shoulder and they were DRT with that round, but I was using it on a bait pile where I could pick my shot although lots of people saving fur use the 17 Rem. while calling.

Hey Bill, I think the regulations state 22 rimfire only on state ground. Which means a 17 caliber wouldn't be allowed. Just wanna make sure you don't get in trouble with that caliber on state ground.

We have so much state ground with so many stupid rules I won’t set foot in them. Can’t put a boat on most of the water in n. Illinois, what a waste.

22 Mag, will out preform a 17HMR up to 125 yds. maybe a little farther. Jacketed HP. The 17HMR because of its accuracy a bit farther only because a 22mag starts loosing its energy and trajectory rapidly declines past 150yds. The 17wsm in a 25gr. HP takes them both. But due to a 25gr. bullet and a very fragile bullet jacket. You have to put your shots into the vitals, but stay off that front shoulder. Where as a 22 mag 40gr.JHP will penetrate better under 125 yds. Now I know its a center fire, but I use a 17 Hornet, with 25 gr hp. loaded down to 2950fps. I have never had a fox or coyote run, spin, nor travel any distance. They drop right there as if struck by lightening. The bullet always makes it into the vitals and then violently expands and expends all its energy. My farthest shot to date is 235yds. My biggest coyote was 53lbs.

I've shot 2 coyotes with 22 mag, a 125 yard head shot that was DRT and a 40 yard chest shot that I never found but I would bet was killed. That 40 yard shot was CCI Maxi-mag which is not my favorite bullet, I much prefer the Winchester 40gr JHP silver box ammo.
I would think a .17WSM would be a better round for coyotes but I don't own one because nobody makes one I'm willing to buy, unfortunately. My last pick would be the 17HMR.

State land question for you Illinois guys..

Can you hunt during day with center fire rifles ?
I’m Michigan, we can. So I figured I’d ask.

Back