8mm rem mag works just fine

jetman

Boy and I went calling today the wind almost stopped.
Been weeks at -40* to -65* wind chill.
It was -15* but with a 3 mph wind, the chill was only around 20 below ish, fantastic.
Saw a lot of dogs out moving around and had dogs at all the set.
My boy Killed one at 250 yards. I misted one at 300 by inches. A nice female.
IMG-20200118-083531.jpg

On a later set, we had one jump up and run off at 350 as soon as we started to call. 11 minutes later I look over my shoulder to see this old soldier standing broadside with its head down to charge in. Three steps and stopped to get under a fence JUST long enough for me to pull the trigger, on the 8mm rem mag.
Not my normal coyote gun but I needed some blood on it.
220 gr Seaira 3000 fps 300 yards.
DEAD coyote...

IMG-20200118-120015.jpg

Hole coming out.

IMG-20200118-120052.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.

Skin off tells the rest of the story.
Cover your eyes if your squeamish, please.

IMG-20200118-124904.jpg

Big dog

IMG-20200118-130614.jpg

Probably not my first choice for dog killing but it works.:

Sometimes we use different calibers just for the enjoyment of it. A narrow mind might preach overkill. I have hunted deer with a .338 Win Mag and .35 Whelen just because I had them and wanted to. Enjoy your big boomer and keep dropping those coyotes.

I had some custom loads worked up for my Ruger #1 .338 Win mag with 185 gr bullets. The round and gun were deadly. Not pretty on yotes but did the job and pigs in South Texas were easy to put on the ground.

The boomers are fun to shoot. One gun, various loads and you can go from Yotes to hogs to deer to elk and then use the bonded rounds and head for Africa...… Great guns.

Last edited:
I've shot more than one coyote with a .50 caliber muzzleloader. I have a bad habit of getting distracted by good coyote stands during big game hunts. Many recent hunts have been during the muzzleloader season, so that is the tool in hand when I realize I just "have" to stop and call a coyote. I suppose it's an occupational hazard...
smile.gif
Variety is the spice of life, and not everyone can have a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam so that is the tool in hand when I realize I just "have" to stop and call a coyote.

So glad to hear I'm not alone in that regard. Haven't hunted with muzzle loader since 2001 but have shot a number of coyotes w/375 h&h & 338 WM. They work, too.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

Congrats on the 8mm. Very nice.

I've killed them with .375, .416 and .450Nitro. Still waiting for a shot with my .505 Gibbs!

You can never use enough death!
smile.gif

Back