Barrel question

pyscodog

I acquired some barrel blanks a while back. My smith took the 25 cal barrel. Not sure what he wanted it for but he wanted it. I have a slow twist .224 barrel and another one marked 44MAR. Best I can tell, the 44MAR barrel is a 36 twist. What the heck would a person make out of it? 44 mag or a 444 possibly?

Hey Bill

I guess like me you have wondered if that "R" in "44MAR" could possibly be a "G" instead. Would make more sense to me if it was.

But a 1/36" twist would be OK for bullets up to 250 grain or so I think. Dont think they would work good on 300 grain or heavier bullets though. I guess you would just have to try them and see.

Sounds like fun though and yes- I would go .44 Mag over the .444 as brass is way cheaper and easier to find.

I just looked again and its definitely MAR. Doubtful I'll ever do much with it but was curious what can be made from it. Its buy-able if anyone wants it. Cheap to. LOL

Maybe I can get my smith to slug it for me. I have no idea how old these barrels are. But doubt they are newer production barrels.

Last edited:
Back