What would you do #2

BrianID

After setting up for your first stand you are about to start calling and spot a coyote in the brush 316 yards away. The coyote seems to be looking at your goofball dog and appears to be curious and not ready to take off and leave yet.
What do you do?
#1 Take the shot now off shooting sticks?
#2 Back up 10 yards and lay out prone for a more steady shot?
#3 Start calling as you normally would?
#4 Start calling with soft sounds hoping to bring the coyote for a closer shot?
#5 Do something else?

The red circle is where the coyote is. The blue arrow is the wind direction that is a 5 mph crosswind.

fullsizeoutput-3f6.jpg

either shoot or switch up sounds to see if he'll commit to coming in. often times switching to a pup sound or different pup sound when there already looking will make them move

Since you have spotted him and he the dog, I'd probably try #4 (which for me is normal since I start out most stands light and low). Maybe some whimpers or even vole squeaks to see if he is interested and will come closer. Judge body language. If he's interested, try to bring him in closer. That's always my goal; I like them up close and personal. If he has no interest, or seems ready to leave, I'd flop down on that gravel in front you and get steady on the bipod and whack him.

I agree with DesertRam - start with #4 and go from there. If the yote already saw the dog it would be fun to test it to see if it is territorial and try light coyote vocalizations. If that doesn't move him I'd follow up with light rabbit distress. You never know, it might howl in it's buddy/mate and you get a double.

Any one in nv? I'm looking for a partner I have a fox pro.. a 4x4 and a nice spot and I'm shooting a 6.5 grendal I cant shoot for 200 to +1000..

lol.. Yep, I doubt I would see him either. This however is why you use low volume calling to start with as not to scare it away.

Originally Posted By: emptymagLeave goofball dog at home...

I do most of the time but he really likes going so I take him along occasionally.

I'm not steady enough on shooting sticks to kill coyotes over 300 yards 95% of the time but getting prone makes it an easy shot for me. After watching the coyote for a minute with my binoculars it stepped behind some brush so I backed up about 10 yards where I could comfortably get prone. He was still behind some brush so I let out a lone howl. He stepped out in the open but based on his behavior I was worried he wouldn't come in so I took the shot from about 330 yards. He dropped without even twitching. I would rather call one in but I'm not going to pass a shot on a coyote that I'm unlikely to miss. I've passed many shots on coyotes that I should have taken and the coyote ended up getting away.

Sdqtg-RO9-RMilym-W98tql7w.jpg

Back