22 cal vs 7.62 Suppressor

Loper65

I have a 7.62 Saker with ASR. I've put ASR mounts on 5 guns(223, 224 and 6.5 so far) and am trilled with the change. So far POI has stayed when taking can on and off w/ASR system. I have several more rifles to get threaded yet(17 HMR, 17 Hornet, 204, 22-250, 243, 7mm, 300WM). I do plan to buy at least one more can. My thought is to stay with Saker but in 556 for my second can as I have ASR mounts already on 4 guns 22 cal or under. I like the weight savings on the 556 model over the 7.62. What about 556K option?

My main question would be, will a 22 cal can be more effective on 22 cal rifles and under than 7.62?? Is weight saving the only benefit?

Thanks,

When we had the Class 3 license we got to try Demo cans and found out that there is almost no difference in noise or sound with a 7.62 can on a 223. I ended up just buying all 7.62 cans and use them on everything. I did want a .223 or 6.8 can for awhile, then just bought a titanium 7.62 can and have been content. Its light and does everything good.

I agree with the above. Stick with 30 cal cans and dont worry about it. Ur ears are never going to notice a difference even if there is one.

More than a few things here. Yes a caliber specific can is going to be more effective than an over bore can.

Maybe "your" ears aren't going to tell the difference between them, but there is. 100% there is. Think about it, Someone says ahhh just get a 30 cal can for everything, you can't tell the difference anyway. Well, that's because your designated caliber specific can is more efficient. It's shorter, and lighter, and just as if not quieter, especially if "your" ears can't tell the difference.

We cover this topic in our podcast, and go into great detail on it. It's your choice in the end, If you have a 30 cal can already, then absolutely get a .224 cal can.

The adjustable apertures are a no go. You can't buy a suppressor that can legally use different end caps catering to designated calibers. The ATF says so. Also IF you go into detail on the design of this mindset, it's still not as effective as caliber specific, all you do is reduce the diameter of the endcap, while leaving every baffle inside over bore, which some companies do anyway. To get the best results, you want it designated with baffle bores reflecting your caliber also.

I'm getting ready to upload a few videos using 2 different cans on the same rifle, one cal specific the other 30 cal. Those who tell you, you can't tell the difference, unfortunately haven't had the experience of running numerous suppressors in various conditions. IF I could I'd post the video here so you can easily distinguish the difference.

Originally Posted By: skinney
You can't buy a suppressor that can legally use different end caps catering to designated calibers. The ATF says so.

If that is true, how is it that Silencerco sells cans that you can change the caps on? They have been selling them for a long time and the ATF has not shut them down. There may be others that do it also. Changing the end cap to a 22 caliber is not changing the fact that it is a 30 caliber can. It still has the same baffles in it.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: skinney
You can't buy a suppressor that can legally use different end caps catering to designated calibers. The ATF says so.

If that is true, how is it that Silencerco sells cans that you can change the caps on? They have been selling them for a long time and the ATF has not shut them down. There may be others that do it also.

Yes I'm aware of SilencerCo's designs, as well as Rugged's, Silencer Centrals, and Gunwerks... I've been in touch with two of these manufacturers directly and they are no longer offering the option.

You also didn't have to do fingerprint cards and photo ID's on a trust pre 41P for a "long time" but try and get away with it now.

Originally Posted By: skinney
Yes I'm aware of SilencerCo's designs, as well as Rugged's, Silencer Centrals, and Gunwerks... I've been in touch with two of these manufacturers directly and they are no longer offering the option.

Of the 4 you listed and have been in contact with, I just checked and Silencerco, Rugged and Gunwerks all still offer 22 cal and 30 cal interchangeable caps for their cans. Does Silencer Central make cans or just sell different brands? I see the Banish on there that lets its configuration be changed. You can change the length. Unless I am mistaken, that could fall into manufacturing a suppressor if you wanted to get technical. I also see they sell the Silencerco Omega that you can change the end cap on.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: skinney

Of the 4 you listed and have been in contact with, I just checked and Silencerco, Rugged and Gunwerks all still offer 22 cal and 30 cal interchangeable caps for their cans. Does Silencer Central make cans or just sell different brands? I see the Banish on there that lets its configuration be changed. You can change the length. Unless I am mistaken, that could fall into manufacturing a suppressor if you wanted to get technical. I also see they sell the Silencerco Omega that you can change the end cap on.

I am not sure how they get away with modular suppressors ie. removable end portion of the can with baffles allowing it to be shorter or longer. IMHO that would be more regulated than the endcap alone. I know on my Surge the end portion is serialized with the same number as the lower tube so maybe that's how it's classified as the same thing.

I've looked at designing some of ours with adjustable endcaps with Doug. He wouldn't do it, he said the ATF was going to regulate them as a suppressor part, evidently took them a while to do it, but I have talked with Gunwerks about it and Silencer Central. As I stated I was directed to not review the individual .22 and 6.5 end caps that you "could" order with the Banish 30, because of this issue.
Silencer Central is a large retailer, however they work very closely with Mack Bros. aka Horizon Machine in Sturgis SD, who manufactures components for Badger Ordnance and others in the industry. The Varminter aka Banish series now is an exclusive manufactured from Mack Bros for Silencer Central.

FYI, I'm not trying to stir anything up or start rumors, I'm just stating what I've heard directly through larger manufactures and retailers. IF you find something new or different out, I'm always up for learning and becoming more educated on what's going on in the industry.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrMy Dead Air also came with 2 end caps 30 cal and 224. Does this mean that I'm illegal also? Mine is the sandman s

SSSHHHH... Delete your post! LOL.

We used to be able to order extra wipes for our Dead Air Ghost cans, but they put a stop to that, a few years ago, too.
thumbdown.gif

Thanks for the info. My ears probably won't be able to tell the difference between caliber specific cans, but I am trying to save what hearing I do have. But saving 7 or more ounces of weight will add up in a days hunting and if it's quieter to someone or something better yet.

Back