Couple singles

Snowshoes

I know with this cold snap we just experienced, being inside a warm house was not a bad idea.
Mid week we had two nights of -40*F with wind-chills of -56*F but come the weekend, I planned to be out hunting.
Yesterday was to be a short hunt as I had other plans for later in the morning. I went down to a feedlot to check the dead pile in what proved to be another cold day. With the ambient temperature being -24*F, and a wind-chill of -37*F, it would require extra clothing and I could really tell the effects of the multiple layers as I waddled my way from the truck towards the dead pile, but I was warm!
Nothing at the dead pile and really very little sign. I believe the coyotes were still “holed up” somewhere in the shelter of a thick bush.
Went home and then off to the city. After returning home in the afternoon, I went out with the truck to bust some trails through the recent dumps of snow that had drifted across the landscape. Only got stuck once but 5 minutes of shoveling had me on my way again. Now I had some spots I could get to Sunday morning but there was also a couple places that I didn’t attempt due to deep snow drifts. Shoveling the truck out once, was enough for me and it wasn’t that much fun, so a couple times the truck got put into reverse rather than full steam ahead! Its taken a lot of years but I think I am starting to know my 4 wheel drives limits
smile.gif

The weather station this fine Sunday morning showed it to be only -13*F but the wind-chill was still a brutal -34*F. Oh well, multiple layers of clothing once again. First spot I head is a ravine where I shot a tipple awhile back and its just a matter of following my trail from yesterday. Park the truck behind a large dirt pile and then its a few minutes getting all my gear together before venturing the quarter mile to where I would set up. Locked the truck up and walked only 30 or so feet to the end of the dirt pile when I notice what looks like a coyote headed my direction. This is just to good to be true but sure enough its happening. I sit down and get the rifle onto the bi-pod and notice the coyote is following my truck tracks from yesterday. I follow the coyotes journey through the scope and once its roughly a 125 yards away, I bark to stop it. A 64 gr. Berger from the 223AI catches the coyote square in the chest, marking the first coyote of the morning. Though lucky for me, the truck trail through the snow, wasn’t so lucky for all.

Walked out to the coyote and took a picture before continuing to the ravine. Called the ravine but only a few curious whitetail deer came to see what all the commotion was about.

After picking up the coyote and on my way to my next location, I noticed the thermometer in the truck indicated the temperature had risen a couple degrees but unfortunately the wind had also increased.
Drove to the next spot and once again I’m following a truck trail from yesterdays outing. I drive as close as practical to where the truck would be parked out of sight.
From there I walk to a fence line using the tire tracks to my advantage. Set up amongst some popular trees on the fence line and then start off with distress cries using an open double reed call. The double reeds give the call a very raspy sound but its also extremely loud and maybe just a tad too loud for this set up.
After a second series of distress cries echoed through the trees, I hear two tattle tail magpies squawking from the bush to the southwest. The way the magpies acted, I anticipated them to be following a coyote. I kept a close eye on their location as I pulled the diaphragm reed case from my pocket. After a half minute of fighting to get the case open, I send a series of coyote “yelps” into the crisp morning air.
Now the magpies fly to the edge of the bush and soon followed by their four legged companion. The coyote seemed reluctant to come into the open, so with the scope zoomed up, I place the cross hairs on its chest and send a bullet on its way. I honestly had no idea whether I got the coyote or not and it wasn’t until I walked to where the coyote had stood, that a hit was confirmed.
It took four tries to get a range from where I shot from ( the rangefinder doesn’t like frigid weather either), the reading came back at 203 yards.
The red arrow indicates where I was sitting.

The weather is to warm up to +32*F tomorrow which just boggles the mind. One day its not fit for man or beast outside and 24 hours later it will be almost beautiful out
smile.gif

WTG on the double for the day. The cold is brutal for sure. At least you get a little warmed up after shooting one. Again congrats, and thanks for sharing.

I grew up in North Dakota and can understand those temperatures, wind, and drastic weather changes. This post gave me a little taste of home, which I miss dearly while I am in school elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckLooks like many more critters there than here.
I try to do my part in keeping the numbers in check
smile.gif

Back