2 on the day!

YoteslayerWA

I made it out for some calling yesterday with my brother. The conditions for the day were perfect. There was a couple inches of fresh snow on the ground, 25 degrees and a mild wind that happened to be in the right direction.

Our first spot for the day was in a sage brush lined drainage. I have called this spot several times and had no luck but always see a ton of sign in the area. 9 minutes into our calling sequence my brother spotted a coyote at 175 standing on the edge of rocky point. He took the shot and connected. The coyote made it no more than 20 yards before he expired. When we walked up to collect the coyote we found there was a second set of tracks and you could see where the coyote had spun around and took off running when the shot was fired.

87A342042A91483F9ACF.jpeg

Our second set up for the day was in a big valley lined with rocky bluffs, a few small ponds and lots of sage brush. At the 7 minute mark I spotted a coyote on one off the rock bluffs at 275 yards. He was facing us and I liked the shot so I took it. He tipped over right where he was standing.

5B09E12FE2D34FC09A58.jpeg

Our third set for the day was in another large drainage. We set up and called for 20 minutes. When I got up to grab my call I looked up behind where we were sitting and there was a coyote standing in the skyline at 300 yards. Unfortunately it was too late and we were busted.

We made a couple more set ups on the day but they came up blank. We ended up seeing 4 other coyotes driving to and from some of our set ups. It was a great day and one my brother and I will always remember.

I think me and many others hunt the spots I do. It’s all public land and I frequently see other boot tracks in the spots I hunt. Whether the others have success like I do is yet to be determined.

Nice shooting! It's fun when you get into them like that. The missus went with me today and we had a memorable day also with a couple dogs down.

Back