Shy coyotes in GA.

Wood dog

I'm in Georgia and mostly hog and predator
hunt. My question is how to get the coyotes to come out in open? Bobcats and foxes will come to the call and twitching tail, but the yotes just won't cooperate.
They'll answer the call, big time but just won't show themselves. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you

Welcome to the forum WD. Same for me up in Bartow/NW Cobb County sir. They stay in the thick stuff unless its night around my area. Thats why I hunt only at night. Limited calling. Baiting works well for me anyway. Always a challenge but that's the way yote hunting is.

Limited success with cottontail distress on very low volume.

They gotta be in the area though before they come out to play.

Whats your equipment set-up?

WD: yep, that's my take on it.
Night time is better, but they are still very shy.
They've probably seen & smelled deer hunters so they're educated to some degree.
Boldest I've seen them, is when everything tweaks their curiosity.
If wind is right, a strong bait smell, pup yote sounds, visual stuff,,(no idea you are near) ,,,
then maybe they'll show.
Welcome & good luck.

I have a Foxpro caller w/ mech tail and even a coyote decoy. I've hunted night and day, they answer after dark. They get crazy but won't show themselves. Maybe I call too much, I do know you have to keep it going to keep the kitties interested.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have a very nice night scope and and another good one, my buddy has a Flir for spotting (I have got to get me one of those)
And before I went high tech I have used several different lights mounted on the rifles.

Last edited:
I would love to go with someone who's successful so I can learn what I'm doing wrong. So if you don't mind a tag along I would be very grateful.

I kill nearly all my coyotes in the woods. And during daylight hours. What is the problem with getting into the woods with them and killing them?

The woods are so thick I don't think I would ever see them then. Even though I've gone quite a few times I am still a beginner for sure. Cats, foxes, hogs and just about every other critter I've gotten to come in, but never a yote. I can get them going but not come in. If so I haven't seen them.

Back