Spotting Scopes?

coal farmer

Well I think I want a spotting scope but I'm a tight wad and
don't want to spend a fortune on one.
Soooo, anybody have any suggestions pro or con. Like to keep it around
the $250 range or under.

Cheap spotting scopes can be a waste of money in my opinion. Decent 10X are better than a cheap spotting scope. If you really want to buy a cheap spotting scope then buying a used one may be your best option.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 20x60. I actually acquired it as a safety award through my work. If I remember correctly they retail around $400. Now this is no hi end scope by any means, but it does ok. If I was purchasing one outright it would be of higher quality. A spotting scope can be a purchase that is done once to cover you for many years to come if you buy quality. If you are serious about purchasing one do yourself a favor and save money to buy a quality one so you don’t regret it later.

As previously stated, inexpensive/cheap spotting scopes are basically a waste of money, especially when a 10X semi-quality scope is in most cases, better.

Most spotting scopes with a 20X to 60X magnification aren't worth much when you zoom much past 30X, due to lens quality and climate conditions.

If you're looking to be able to spot 22 centerfire holes in white paper at 300 yards, that's a tall order and you will have to pay for that performance and even then, a high mirage factor will cancel that out.

I have the Opticron MM3 50 ED with the opticron SDLv2 eyepiece - it's very small, 50mm objective lens and fits nicely in my range bag with my small tabletop tripod - it's power is 12X - 36X and on most early morning shoots, I can spot 22 centerfire holes in white paper @ 300 yards using 36X but much past 10/11 AM just a touch of mirage and 22 bullet holes disappear at 300 yards. Todays cost used is about $400.00 They also offer a 60mm lens - if I was looking I'd go 60mm. I spent $700.00 many years ago and my Opticron is still serving me extremely well for my "needs".

As previously suggested, don't waste your money on a poor quality spotting scope, unless all you need to do is spot holes at 100 yards.

Back