6.8 vs 300 blackout

300 Blackout is quiet if suppressed, however the ballistics are terrible when you actually study them. What is your intended use? I have a Wilson Combat 6.8 with thermal on top.

I have both - each fills a niche.
Use the 300 BO suppressed supersonic for 150 yd max yote hunts. (local)
243 goes if the possible yote range is longer.
Keep the 6.8 with red-dot close, for HD.
The energy level of the 6.8 is greater than the 300 BO, but less than 243.

Neither are the ideal coyote round.
No light flat shooting bullets available.
6mm rounds are the coyote azzkicking stuff when your brain freezes and all you can do is put the crosshairs on the fur and give the trigger a jank.

Last edited:
My main gun is a tikka 25-06 just looking for a light weight truck gun, had a model 7 youth in 223 but a guy wanted it way worse than I did wish I had it back now

300 has the trajectory of a bow and arrow. Just saying. But it's extra "tactical". Do it, you for sure won't regret it 5 years from now after the fad has passed.

In an AR for simplicity and speed with factory ammo the 22 nosler would give you a bit more speed than 223. A tad over 3300 with 55s in an 18 barrel.

Last edited:
I went 6.5 Grendel over 6.8spc and 300blk. It has good medium range performance. Factory ammo available from $5 a box steel case to varmint and medium game ammo to match target ammo.

I do think the intended purpose is needed before one can state pros and cons.
Ive had several of each and got rid of all but the 6.8s.

Never could get any of the 300Bogus to shoot good and the very low velocity didn't help anything.

Had a couple 6.5G barrels and one was disappointing when the velocity started getting good the accuracy went away fast. The other would only shoot the ligher bullets around 100gr ok.

Even tried some 7.62x39 barrels and the price of the ammo was appealing here. Cheap steel case ammo was fun to blast with. Found some 123gr Nosler Varmageddon projectiles on clearance and They actually shot very good from a 10" barrel.

I kill more hogs than anything so i like a little power so i just stuck with the 6.8, it hasn't let me down. Its not flat shooting or the coolest thing but it works for me. Tested 12.5"-20" barrels and have no complaints about them yet.

6.8 for just a few more foot pounds of energy at shorter range than the Grendel according to the specs I've seen. And a little better feeding sometimes. I'm mostly on hogs now too. If I was bigger on coyotes long range it would be Grendel

I have both. Like Dirty Dog, I saw no use in the 300BO. But, I have to say that I was wrong about it. I am running 110 grain Vmax at 2400 fps in my 16" upper and 2100 fps from my 9" pistol. It's just about AK horsepower with AR accuracy and function. It is more accurate at range. The 6.8 has more Horsepower for sure, but I like making 300BO brass and it's really cheap. I shoot my 300BO's way more often than I do the 6.8 SPC.

I have an 8” 300bo and 12” 6.8. I only shoot subs in the 300bo and use it for fun range days. I do not see the benefit of shooting supers in the 300 unless it’s the only rifle you have. For hunting I love my 6.8. If you don’t have a suppressor and don’t want to shoot subs, avoid the 300

Back