ar 10 guys i need your help

Fredritz

ok so i have an AR 10 rifle that on a empty mag works fine. as soon as i take the mag out of the rifle and attempt to lock back the bolt with the bolt catch button it will not work. i can feel and see the bolt catch just barely touch the bolt face but will not grab it to keep it locked back. i tried switching a spring and buffer from one of my AR 15 rifles to this rifle just to verify it was the right spring and im thinking it is because when i put the 15 spring it it wouldn't even let me pull the charging handle back far enough to get the bolt face past the catch with the original spring it does so i don't think that is the issue. any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Who made the rifle or lower receiver? Is it new? Does the bolt catch look worn?
Unfortunately here is no single established design for large frame ARs, as opposed to the AR-15 milspec design.

Well I’ll tell you what I did my cousin/hunting partner have the exact rifle. They are specialized dynamics and rifles so other than that I’m not sure of a lot. I tried my lower on his upper to no avail. I had two bolt catch levers so I did we did a little grinding on one basically where the catch meets the detent pin and low and behold it works. Not sure If the right thing to do but it seems fine to me and functions like it should. To me this means that the lower was not milled out correct since I tried two different bolt catches and neither worked but maybe I’m wrong with me assumption any thoughts or opinions are appreciated just thought it better to grind on the bolt catch rather than the lower itself

Ok guys need help again got half of my problems fixed now I’m having a problem of a spent case getting stuck in he barrel after it’s fired it happened before and I cleaned and lubed everything up thought I fixed it but it did it again tonight. I shoot suppressed thought maybe it was just dirty is this possibly all it is or could it be something more?

Fredritz,

You did not lube the chamber right?

You may be so over gassed, coupled with the timing being off, that the case is still sealed in the chamber while the massive gas flow flings the bolt right off the case.

Consider this: Brownells

I am guessing it does not do this with the suppressor removed right?

There is always an adjustable gas block. They have their limitations though. The biggest one is that if you tone the gas way down it won't cycle when you take the suppressor off. There are trade offs.

I am building an AR-10 right now. My last part comes in the mail likely on Wed.

I have not yet fired an AR-10, but i have 2 of the Tubb springs that i have fired extensively in AR-15's and i have 1 rifle i shoot suppressed that has an adjustable gas block.

David Tubbs

The Tubb spring really slows everything down. The adjustable gas block can make things so smooth you won't even blink after you pull the trigger. (that is until the gas gets in your eyes)

Make sure your extractor spring is in good shape. Some 10's have two donuts i have heard.

Thanks for the reply...I got the brass out yesterday and found part of the rim broke i run an adjustable gas block and pretty certain I have it adjusted correctly. I cycled a entire clip by hand without fail. Cleaned the gun and fired 7 rounds flawlessly my thoughts are now maybe just bad Brass but I never heard of Nosler having that problem but never paid attention either so I’m not really sure at this point I will keep playing with it and try to eliminate things until I figure it out

Back