Cabela's Covenant scopes

I looked at one when they first got them in stock at my local Cabelas, now just looking through it in the store it seemed blurry around the edges. Like above I’d pass.

we have three of these they do not have the best glass but they work when you dial them and when you use the lines.just shot one 4 days ago and it was spot on out to 860yds. it was to foggy to shoot farther.but I have shot over 1000 with one.

I went ahead and bought one. Its 5x25x56 Covenant 7. Has side focus and zero stop, first focal plane. I've only had it out once and shot out to 200 yards so not much to really say about it yet. Seems like a decent scope for the money. It was priced wrong so I got it cheaper than the usual price. My friend has two and he loves his but most of his shooting is done off the living room couch so he's not the best for reviews. Deer season is winding down here so maybe I can get out and try the scope at longer distances.

I have had a Covenant 7 5-35x56 FFP for over a year now on a 6.5 Creed bought before the BPS buyout. When I bought it they had a lifetime warranty and the box/paperwork says that also. Since going to BPS, it is now a 90day warranty! Not worth taking the risk when a Vortex Viper, Swampfox Optics, Athlon etc can be had in that price range with a solid warranty. I see them on eBay all the time way below Cabela's asking price.

Anyway, I am not happy with the limited adjustment range on the turrets. Come on its a 34mm tube and with a 20MOA base it alows me just over 11 mills of elevation. I am not happy with the side focus, it jumps from 500 to infinity. Pretty much after 500yds I have to dial the power down in order to focus further out unable to see clearly past 1200yds or so. What's the point of a 35x scope that has to dial down to 18-20x in order to see anything at 1,000yds? Tried to research the specs like adjustment range before buying but they were not published. I commented on the product stating what my scope has for elevation on cabela's website and got thumbs down from other users.

Now the good. It has tracked pretty accurately and returned to zero on the zero stop.
It has performed excellent out to 500yds.

It does a decent job out to 800yds but that is were messing with the power setting to focus the scope starts to really bug me. It is very sensitive trying to clear up an image. After 800yds the edges are blurry and I have to really concentrate to shoot targets. Shortly after 1,000yds I run out of elevation clicks and wonder why I didn't buy a better scope for long range. My similar setup with a Burris XTR II 4-20x can dial out to 1800yds and focus.

I think any scope in the $3-$400 range are going to have limitations. I've had Vortex Vipers (lower end) and the glass is just OK at best. Athlons are decent but I had to use pliers to turn the illumination knob and the glass was OK on it. I didn't expect S&B quality when I bought mine. If it holds zero and I can shoot out to 600yds without major problems, it will do all I expect of it. Hopefully I won't need they warranty.

Huh they quit backing their house brands?

I don't any history with their scopes so
no thumbs up or down. (sorry)

I'm sure it will treat you well, my son's
father in law has a 30mm tubed variable
power one.(can't remember the power range)

He seems to like it, no complaints so far.

Last edited:
Well, a short story on the Cabela's Covenant Scopes. One was enough for me. The third trip to the range and it failed, approximately 80 rounds fired. It held its zero but went totally fuzzy. Bad enough that you couldn't make out the target. It was just a blur. Granted it wasn't a high end scope and it was on a 308 but I really thought it would last a little longer than it did. I bought it 11/28/19 and returned it today, 2/20/20. It says Lifetime warranty on the box but the sales people said 60 days. Thats a bunch of poo-poo. Long story short, Bass Pro did end up refunding my money so it all worked out. They offered a replacement saying maybe it was just a bad scope. Well, if it was a good scope I wouldn't be returning it would I? Needless to say, I turned down the replacement. If there were Pro's, it did hold its zero and the adjustments worked as they should. It was also pretty clear for a $350 scope. But it is also a tank. Its pretty heavy I thought.

Tim I totally agree. Thats why I politely told them "No Thanks" on the replacement. Got my money back and hauled azz out the door. When they said a 60 day warranty I was starting to sweat thinking the poo is about to start.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTim I totally agree. Thats why I politely told them "No Thanks" on the replacement. Got my money back and hauled azz out the door. When they said a 60 day warranty I was starting to sweat thinking the poo is about to start.

Glad you got a refund, because things are changing and not for the better with BPS at the wheel.

After they said 60 days, my attitude was "On Alert". I wasn't really enjoying the thought of loosing $350 dollars on a bad scope. Glad it didn't get there. I just put my Bushnell Forge back on the rifle. At least I can see through it.

I know $350 isn't that much for a scope but its the principal. I ask about the warranty and BPS said if I had trouble bring it back.So I did.

Last edited:
I had a problem with Cabelas/BPS over some defective ammo. The store said sorry, talk to the manufacture and sent me on my way. I got on the phone with customer service and worked my way up the ladder of command. Long story short, I got a refund.
wink.gif

Back