Got one today

Slagiatt

I like to call predators in thick woods in the mountains. Short range game. Decided i needed an ar with a red dot. Got this 5.56 today. 6lb gun, 16" barrel with a 7 twist. Should be good for shooting heavy for caliber bullets to give that little extra energy for lions. Good compromise bob, yote, lion gun. Put an apa micro bastard brake on it until i can get my suppressor, and mounted a vortex venom red dot. Will hit the bench at my dads place tomorrow to try several kinds of ammo and get the sight dialed in. Then hopefully have enough daylight remaining to drop into a nice creek bottom on the way home, do a calling session or two.

20200117-221324-430x764.jpg

Last edited:
Try the Hornady Match 73gn Eld-m ammo. Has performed quite well for me, especially if you want a heavier flavor. That or Blackhills or Creedmoor sports offering with the 77gn Tipped Matchking. Let us know how it does.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Try the Hornady Match 73gn Eld-m ammo. Has performed quite well for me, especially if you want a heavier flavor. That or Blackhills or Creedmoor sports offering with the 77gn Tipped Matchking. Let us know how it does.

I have a whole mess of different ammo. The 5.56 black hills 77grn matchking shot really well, and i have a box of .223 hornady match 73 eld i havent tried yet. Aside from the 112gr subsonic which i will not shoot again, out of a half dozen types of ammo i tested today only a box of hornady superformance wasnt shooting well. Forget which bullet was in it. I was getting tight little cloverleafs with the 77grn hornady black interlock, which is supposedly optimized for sbrs. Anyway, with a 3moa red dot its hard to really know what was the ammo, and whst was me. For now im minute of coyote all day with any ammo i tried at the distances ill be using this gun. But here in the next few days im going to temporarily remove the reflex sight and mount a 4-12×42 scope on the gun to get a better idea of which cartridges perform the best in this gun. Then ill stock up on that ammo and put the red dot back on. But seems i cant miss 6" steel targets, rapid fire, with anything ive tried today. Man this gun is fun. Cant wait to call in a double or triple and see what i can do with the ar / reflex combo.

Back