new varmint gun

friends tell me I am nuts (maybe so) but just received my new varmint rifle it is a CZ 550 Safari Mag in 458 Win Mag going to start shooting jack rabbits and coyotes with it since I can't find an elephant going to be fun using 450 grain Barnes TSX bullet with 75.0 grains of AA2230 at about 2500 pfs

I can see it!
I'm trying to get some coyote blood on the rebuilt rem 700 in 8mm rem mag 220 gr bullets at 3100 fps.
Already did a BIG jackrabbit worked fine no run-offs yet.

Last edited:
Oh why not? I used my Ruger Number 1 in .458 Win mag to dispatch a few of our local ground squirrels. No follow up shots were ever deemed necessary.
w00t.gif

Hey when I first started out I had a Rem 700 BDL 3006 open sights I would shoot Fed Factory in the red and white box loaded with 220 grain round nose for Mojave jack rabbits this was back in the 70's. Grizz

Never shot a 458, but can't imagine it'd be the most pleasant varmint rifle you could choose. Will definitely put down a jack or coyote, just wouldn't count on saving hides!
smile.gif

Back when I was a teen and had very limited funds I had to use my deer rifle if I wanted to hunt varmints and rock chucks. That was a Rem 700 7mm magnum which was a lot of gun for a scrawny teen. The shoulder tenderness I could deal with, but the dang thing would sometimes recoil enough to pop me in the eye. Started developing a bad flinch so had to hang that up and borrow smaller calibers. Only good thing was the carnage when I connected on a chuck - they'd get some serious hang time!

Originally Posted By: LDhunterI was thinking of building a 50BMG for prairie dogs but I'm not sure it's big enough. Would a 20mm be better? That would make a [beeep] of a wildcat if you necked it down to .177 but you might not be able to spot your hits.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
LDhunter said:
That would make a [beeep] of a wildcat if you necked it down to .177 but you might not be able to spot your hits.

Someone beat you do it a long time ago. it. Google ".17 eargesplitten loudenboomer".

Back