Help me design a new build - I can't decide

SouthTXBowhunter

I’ve got an itch to build a new upper or possibly rebarrel one of the ones I have. Problem is, I can’t settle on a plan - I’m all over the place. Lol! Short barrel?, medium barrel?, this caliber or that caliber? I just can't decide. I thought posting on here might help me find some focus. I don’t take a lot of long shots on predators around here because there’s so much dense brush, limited open fields and most of our coyotes don’t like open ground under ANY circumstances. IF I’m going to sit where I AM likely to take a shot farther than 200yds, I’m probably taking one of my custom bolt guns that shoot in the .2-.3 MOA range and are topped with big glass. But I’m a precision and accuracy nut and I’m always chasing accuracy I never seem to be able to achieve in a AR. Since I’m capable of shooting my custom bolt rifles with consistent sub .5moa out to 600yds (my home practice range), I’m chasing a consistant sub .75 moa gas gun. Anyway... because I don’t normally shoot too far, and end up with a LOT of close shots (I do a TON of shotgunning), I really like a shorter/lighter/handier rifle. Plus, I shoot almost exclusively suppressed. So, most of my AR’s are SBRs. However, I’m wondering, if I went with a carbon barrel, whether the lighter weight would make a longer (than my usual) barrel feel more like a shorter barrel? My primary AR has a fairly heavy Noveske 11.5” barrel that, with Leupold VXR and a Silencerco Omega on it is NOT what I would consider “light” gun, despite wearing a slim hand guard. Although, it’s certainly not like my old Larue 18” Stealth upper, I’d like a new build to be lighter. Would a carbon wrapped 11.5” (I.e. Proof) barrel provide a noticeable weight reduction over a same-length match barrel or no?

I’m intrigued by the .224 Valkyrie but it seems like its probably most suited to a pretty long barrel to wring out as much velocity as possible? Or is it a good/ok choice for a SBR build? I love the idea of being able to shoot some of the heavier bullet weights offered in the Valkyrie for whitetail, hogs and some smaller exotic species and the flat-shooting nature of of all that velocity really appeals to me for predator hunting. Is anyone making a tier 1 carbon barrel in .224 Valkyrie or would I have to get a blank and have it spun up? Anyone making short ones?

The 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are also interesting to me. I’m a huge 6.5 fanboy - several of my customs are 6.5 variants and I’m considering building another one, lol! They seem pretty conducive to SBR builds, am I correct? What kind of velocities could I expect out of a 11.5”-13” barrel with these 2 calibers? Could I get enough velocity to be pretty flat shooting out to 250yds? I’d prefer to be able, in a rush, to be able to put the crosshairs on at any coyote between 40yds and 250yds and not have to worry about ‘holding?’ No, I know that’s not ideal; but it’s reality when you only get about 1.5 seconds to get on a dog before it hits the safety of the brush. I just wonder whether the velocities out of a short barrel, with the 6.5 bullet weights, might not be flat enough for my needs? I know y’all will steer me right on this.

Writing it all out hasn’t helped much but it does make me realize that the Valkyrie is the most interesting to me But, if I can’t make it ‘handy’ for fast action shots, that’ll be a deal breaker. Any input will be appreciated. I’m just trying to hash it out somehow. Only thing I DON’T want is a wildcat - I want to stick to factory available calibers for a gas gun; and I don’t need to add another caliber to my reloading bench. Lol!

Thanks to those that reply!

Factory ammo+short barrel+max velocity = 6.8 imo
While everything is fairly flat to 250 I think anything in the smaller 22 cal bore just will suffer to much speed loss in the shorter barrel.
For me an 18" standard contour seems to handle and shoot well. I have no experience with anything shorter than 16" though. Im sold on the 6mm in these shorter barrels. That extra bore diameter gets just a little more speed and so many good bullets.

Last edited:
I have been researching a pistol setup in 6.5 grendel by PSA. The 6.5 grendel would do great out to 300 yds just fine. Do some research on the pistol setups for the grendel and you will see that it is a very capable in an 11 to 12inch length barrel. I just just got a 25DTI and when I get done with it I will be building a pistol in the 6.5 grendel.

Thanks
Jon

The 16" 6.8SPC pretty much got it's foot in the door shooting hogs in Texas, I think. After the military developed it, of course.
The last 4 deer I shot were with 6.8 that I loaded and none went more than 20 feet.

Ive been very happy with the 6.8.
Mostly been using a 12.5" ARP Barrel on a SBR. Several hundreds of deer and almost a thousand hogs with it now. Killed deer no problem out to 490 yards with it and hogs out to ~375 yards.
Lots of practice at distance to figure out the hold overs and such.

Ive done alot of deer depredations over the years and love the weight of the 12.5 with titanium can especially when walking all night in the summer.

Ive only done load development with a few 16" 6.5s and never could get the velocity up there with decent accuracy but i dont know what manufacture the barrels were since they were my buddys uppers.

But now having 7 or 8 different 6.8s from 12.5-20" and even a 20" Bolt action. I dont have a need for another caliber for what i use them for.

The 12.5" 6.8 i think was 2690fps with the 105gr CBB and AA2200.. Ill have to find my book to double check that [beeep]. Its a nasty little round on deer, hogs and even coyotes.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanIve been very happy with the 6.8.
Mostly been using a 12.5" ARP Barrel on a SBR. Several hundreds of deer and almost a thousand hogs with it now. Killed deer no problem out to 490 yards with it and hogs out to ~375 yards.
Lots of practice at distance to figure out the hold overs and such.

Ive done alot of deer depredations over the years and love the weight of the 12.5 with titanium can especially when walking all night in the summer.

Ive only done load development with a few 16" 6.5s and never could get the velocity up there with decent accuracy but i dont know what manufacture the barrels were since they were my buddys uppers.

But now having 7 or 8 different 6.8s from 12.5-20" and even a 20" Bolt action. I dont have a need for another caliber for what i use them for.

The 12.5" 6.8 i think was 2690fps with the 105gr CBB and AA2200.. Ill have to find my book to double check that [beeep]. Its a nasty little round on deer, hogs and even coyotes.

I am with you, my 6,8mm has been great.
My upper is and old Bushmaster 16 inch before they sold out.
I have a great supply of Silver State ammo before they sold out.
With my Specwar, I have had no gas problems.

I work part time at a 100 Meter Underground Rifle Range, and have seen between 8-10 guys shooting the.224 Valkyrie. Everyone of them, and I mean everyone of them have not been happy with this cartridge or gun setup.. most complaints are about grouping weather handloads or factory. Almost all have said they were selling this gun and going back to 223, 22-250, 243, or 6.5 Creedmore . Wanting something that was easier to work up loads for. Only thing I have heard more complaints about are problems with Vortex scopes and having to send them back to be worked on as long as they still had the original box.
Lots of guys like the 6.5 Grendel and I’ve seen a few that like there 6.8SPC. I have a Buddy with the grendel that has been shooting a bunch of Yotes with us this winter. I’d go with a 6.5 Grendel as my next AR15. Good luck on what ever you decide to go with.

Last edited:
Back