Sierra sp for coyotes?

Gsjcky

Does anyone have any experience with Sierra 45 gr sp #1310, or 50 gr sp #1330 on coyotes from a 223? I’m looking for flat trajectory, and the ability to shoot threw shoulders if necessary. Only looking at a range of 250 yards, and not concerned with fur. Will use a single shot TC, 24 inch barrel, 12tw. Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Not what you asked but the Barnes 45gr TSX will do what you're asking, flat trajectory and complete penetration from about any angle.

Thx Dirty Dog. Barns TSX are an option. I know they will penetrate , but how much energy transfer will the deliver on Coyotes if bone is not hit? Penetration is 100% better than shoulder splash, but there has to be a happy medium.

I've only killed a couple with the 45 TSX but it put them down DRT every time and with small exits. It hit them like a hammer. Killed my largest coyote ever with a 45 TSX. Didn't weigh him but he was mighty thick.
49400237008_4bac987a00_c.jpg

I'd use them exclusively (or maybe the 50gr TTSX which is easier to find) but they are expensive and I like to plink and target shoot with my hunting loads.

I would not worry about energy transfer with the Barnes. They will work.

I have been using the Barnes since 1992, started with the 'X', and then the 'XLC'. After working up a load for the 45gr XLC in my Hornet, Barnes discontinued them in favor of the TSX, so I bought all the XLC I could find, about 700 of them.

When I run out of those, I'll use the TSX. I use the TSX and TTSX in 243 on up.

Usually, I get a small entrance, and a small exit, and a very dead animal.

I used the original Barns in a 300 mag on a 5 pt Elk 30 yrs ago. Put him down, but 4 shots penciled through his chest, and had me pretty worried as to what the outcome would be. He never showed signs of being hit, just kneeled down in the snow and died. I know that the TSX is a different bullet, but I have been Leary of Barns bullets ever since.

I shot the Sierra 1330’s for a season from a 20 inch ar. I thought they were too hard for coyotes at that speed. I prefer the Sierra 50 grain blitz kings instead

Quote: I prefer the Sierra 50 grain blitz kings instead

The 50 gr blitzking is good and probably the highest bc of the 50 gr ballistic tips. It also has shot very accurately in several makes and model rifles and pistols over the years.
higher end of price for the bullets.

Originally Posted By: tripod3
The 50 gr blitzking is good and probably the highest bc of the 50 gr ballistic tips. The Nosler 50gr NBT lead free beats that BC, barely.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: tripod3
The 50 gr blitzking is good and probably the highest bc of the 50 gr ballistic tips. The Nosler 50gr NBT lead free beats that BC, barely.

I haven't shot any lead free but always have to question if the 50 will shoot in a 14 twist or if you need to drop to a 45 gr.

Back in the 80's, we shot a lot of coyotes with the Sierra 45g spt in a 222 and 223. The 45g Sierra spt is made to be shot in a 220 Swift, so it is a high velocity bullet, not the thin skinned Hornet bullet.

The 50g Sierra spt is also a great coyote bullet, high velocity. We shot this bullet out of 22/250's at some fantastic velocity with H4895 with great results on coyotes out to 300 yards which was about as far as we ever had to shoot. I shot the 50g Spt at 4150 out of a 27" 22/250 AI, 12 twist and hammered coyotes with this load, better than 50g Nosler ballistic tips.

788's and Rem 700's were our rifles these bullets were shot out of.

Last edited:
My remington 600 222 does good with 50gr blitzkings. My 25-06 likes 100 and 117gr Sierra pro hunter as does the 257 Roberts,250 Savage loves 100gr game kings,the 243 shoots the 55gr blitz kings well. And last but not least the 204 shoots the 32 and 39gr blitz kings awesomely I don't shoot Sierra exclusively but they get used a largely because they perform excellent on paper and in the field. It also helps that I don't live far from the Sierra factory

I tried some Sierra Saturday but they were a bit bigger.
The exit hole at 300 yards
IMG-20200118-120052.jpg

Not bad for a 220 gr 8mm 3000 fps.

Here is what it did under the skin.

IMG-20200118-124904.jpg

Thanx for the input. Ackleyman, you said the sierras are a high velocity bullet. What kind of performance can I expect out of a 223? I want to drive them fast, but can’t get 22-250 velocity, that’s for sure. I’m concerned about shoulder splash. I tend to hit too far back if I don’t concentrate on shooting farther forward into the shoulders, usually lining up on a foreleg for the shot. On running shots, I wish I had the skill to always hit them where I wanted.....but in the real world, that doesn’t happen all the time. If the Sierra’s are to hard, I will try something else..... maybe a NBT?

Quote: If the Sierra’s are to hard, I will try something else..... maybe a NBT?

I've found the NBT's to be harder or tougher than Sierra Blitzkings.
The 50 gr NBT does shoot well too.

You will never have shoulder splash with the 45g Sierra spt and the 50g Sierra spt, even when you hit hip joints.

223's really zip the 45's along with some pretty good speed. IMR and H 4198, H322,LT32, are top choices for the 45g spt in the 223. You will be in the neighborhood of 29g of H335 with the 45 with some blistering speed, work up to this load. AA2230 will also be a great choice depending on the weather where you hunt.

The Sierra's will NOT be too hard!

Back